It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 am

M-Audio MidiSport interfaces and Catalina

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

lefranc22

M-Audio MidiSport interfaces and Catalina

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 am

The HauptwerkInstallationAndUserGuide says (p. 16) that M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary Edition and M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 Anniversary Edition are suitable for Mac computers. I found that this was incorrect for macOS 10.15 (Catalina) for which they are not currently supported. This is confirmed on the M-Audio website which does not announce any updates.
https://m-audio.com/kb/article/2482

mdyde

Re: M-Audio MidiSport interfaces and Catalina

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 am

Hello Gerard,

Thanks for the note.

M-Audio do still list them as current products, so hopefully they still plan to produce updated driver versions for full macOS 10.15 compatibility. (Also the article you mention does appear to suggest that their current driver can be used on 10.15 if their work-around is followed.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

lefranc22

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:18 am

Also the article you mention does appear to suggest that their current driver can be used on 10.15 if their work-around is followed

Things don't happen this way, alas, for macs. I have two M-Audio MidiSport interfaces: a special 2x2 anniversary model which was accepted by the mac, without driver, up to macOS 10.14, and an older 4x4 model for which a 3.5.3 driver was required. Because Hauptwerk 4.2.1 is no longer accepted by macOS 10.14 I updated to Catalina and installed Hauptwerk V. I had the unpleasant surprise to note that my both interfaces were no longer usable, and that M-Audio did not offer any update to the 3.5.3 driver, nor any solution for the "anniversary" models.
For PCs or macOS prior to 10.15 I have not heard that there are such difficulties and that is why the MidiSport interfaces are still on sale.
I used these two interfaces only occasionally, for testing. For me it is therefore not catastrophic but I wanted to share my personal experience with the users of this forum.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks, Gerard.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing