It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:47 am

Adding stop controls to existing Viscount console

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ajsphead

Adding stop controls to existing Viscount console

PostFri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm not running Hauptwerk yet but doing my research before purchase. I have a yr2000 Viscount Grand Opera and need an answer to what I hope is a straightforward question.

There are 5 vacant ports on the Viscount stop control boards and space for 5 more drawstop units. I can purchase the drawstop units and cables from Viscount but if I connect them, will Hauptwerk be able to recognise them so I can assign voices to them?

Thanks

Anthony

IainStinson

Re: Adding stop controls to existing Viscount console

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Some thoughts of what you could try (I don’t know the details of this instrument)....
1. Check the midi output from the existing keys and stops using a midi monitor program
2. Can you swap the connections of one of the existing drawstops to try out the unused ports and see what midi output these generate?
3. Try sending midi into the console using the midi monitor program to see if HW could send control signals to the console (for stop control from HW’s registration system).

MidiOx and MidiMedic are popular midi monitoring programs.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Iain

engrssc

PostFri May 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Or MidiMonitor https://www.snoize.com/ if you are using a Mac.

MidiOx (for a PC) can be found at http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri May 22, 2020 10:04 pm

Good evening Anthony,

Thanks for your interest in Hauptwerk,

As already explained in the previous reply, you will need to check (using the proposed midi monitoring sofware) if your stops/tabs transmits midi messages.

All "midified" console will transmit the keyboards and pedalboard midi messages thru the midi out to the computer; some will also transmit the swell pedals midi messages. For the stops, you will need to test and see. Often they will be used "internally" by the console registration system, not transmitting any messages thru the midi out.

Now, even if your stops can toggle on/off Hauptwerk organs stops, you will be limited or find problems with that setup. One of the beauty of Hauptwerk is to switch organs, go from a baroque organ to a large symphonic instrument, the play a Spanish instrument etc.

So, if you try to control the virtual organs with your stops, you will need to remember which "physical" stop is controlling which virtual stop depending on the organ used. Also, your organ may have 30-40 stops, but the virtual organ may have 60 stops... a touchscreen is often the device used to set your registration. If your physical pistons can transmit midi messages (or can toggle a stop who is transmitting a midi message), then you will be able to use Hauptwerk registration system (generals, divisionals, registration sequencer), the touchscreen being used only to prepare your registration who will be saved to your pistons.

Simply try one of the Midi monitoring software connected to your console and see which devices from your console are transmitting midi message. Check your organ User Manual, often you will find a section related to "MIDI Implementation".

Lastly, download the Hauptwerk Installation and User Manual to learn more about Hauptwerk and it features (available at https://hauptwerk.com/documentation

In the end you may find that your console doesn't fully transmit the needed MIDI messages, but the most important one are transmitted and you can work around these limitations by various means and functionalities offer by Hauptwerk.

Exploring, testing are part of the fun learning about VPO.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

ajsphead

PostSat May 23, 2020 4:02 am

Thank you everyone for your help. I will test using the proposed devices and hopefully find an answer.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing