It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:38 pm

MIDI 2.0 questions

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

MIDI 2.0 questions

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:56 am

MIDI 2.0 is the biggest advancement in MIDI in 37 years.

But what does it mean to you as a musician or artist who uses MIDI?
Will you have to buy new cables and interfaces?
Will your beloved MIDI 1.0 products become obsolete?
When will we see actual MIDI 2.0 products start appearing in the market?
How will all this new stuff work?
How will MIDI 2.0 make your life easier and better?

MIDI 2.0 for Musicians and Artists
May, 30, 2020 - 10 AM US Pacific Time - 6 PM London, England

https://www.midi.org/live

Rgds.
Ed

engrssc

Re: MIDI 2.0 questions

PostSun May 31, 2020 12:32 pm

I watched this very interesting presentation by the MIDI Association. I might point out, I know only enough to get by concerning anything to do with MIDI but find it very interesting. For instance, MIDI 1.0 has been available for 37 years and during that time has been used for projects never dreamed of by the original creators. One example mentioned as using MIDI 1.0 to control features, effects, lighting etc for Broadway shows in Las Vegas (before covid-19 that is).

Some take-aways:

MIDI 2.0 has been in the pipe line, drawing board for some 10 years and is the getting together for a protocol by all kinds of MIDI interested people. From major MIDI equipment companies, to single musicians and everyone in between. Even involving such companies such as Microsoft, Apple and Google to create compatible operating systems.

There has much efforts by working groups to make MIDI 2.0 both user friendly as well as having a huge many future proof features.

MIDI 2.0 is totally backward compatible with the present MIDI 1.0. In addition, MIDI 2.0 is bi-directional meaning two MIDI 2.0 devices can communicate with each other to decide "details" as to how they will function. For instance, another feature is the speed of this communication is very much improved. Expansion factors are built into this protocol. For instance, presently with MIDI 1.0 there are 16 channels. With MIDI 2.0 there will still be 16 channels, but each of the 16 channels will have 16 groups. So 16 X 16 makes 256 available "paths". There are some features that perhaps only Martin could see a use for with Hauptwerk. Such as each note on/note off message will be able to contain such information as articulation. This would probably be useful when producing samples of acoustical instruments such as maybe a guitar?

MIDI 2.0 is a work-in-progress project which only has initially been developed as a starting point for manufacturers to develop new products. New MIDI 2.0 products will be able to be used with MIDI 1.0 products but within the limits of the MIDI 1.0 protocol. Some firmware updates for MIDI 1.0 products can be made, also within some limitations.

Many more features were discussed well beyond my comprehension. Let it suffice to say, much careful thinking and time has gone into this new MIDI 2.0. I can't begin to know what this may mean for Hauptwerk in the future, but I can say, it certainly is interesting. :)

Rgds,
Ed

randallschmid

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Ed,

As I see it, the musical promise of midi 2.0 is to be able to bend, add vibrato, or bloom an individual note while not affecting other notes simultaneously playing. Steinberg's VST3 specification works with individual instrument's expression maps ti implement this functionality now, Roli's Seaboard keyboards allow for pitch bending, applying vibrato and bloom in their keyboards. Midi 2.0 provides a universal standard for this functionality.

HW has been dedicated to replicating the very limited centuries old pipe organ standard - no Midi 1.standard pitch bends, vibrato, velocity, after touch, not even a sustain pedal have been implemented to expand the available musical expression. The software development to take advantage of Midi 2.0 will likely be elsewhere.

engrssc

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 6:08 pm

Paramount 450 has incorporated a sustain pedal/input useful via a kick switch. As well, while 'beyond' being authentic, Jake added sustain and sostenuto to several of my (classical) HW instruments via additions to the ODF (within MIDI 1.0).

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17557&p=131399&hilit=sostenuto#p131399

The potential scope of MIDI 2.0 is well beyond the present features of MIDI 1.0. It just depends on what, for instance, product producers want to do with it. One thing that was discussed was that many user editing requirements presently with MIDI 1.0 can and will be done automatically. For example two MIDI 2.0 devices can decide which channel "they" will use. In that way, setup will be easier and faster. While I'm not saying I'm totally in favor of all that automation, many new products today are listed as being "smart", maybe MIDI 2.0 will be called the Smart MIDI?

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 5:20 pm

engrssc wrote:Paramount 450 has incorporated a sustain pedal/input useful via a kick switch.

All Paramount versions have this feature :wink:

Danny B.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing