It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:47 am

Lighted Combination Pistons

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Lighted Combination Pistons

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Looking for recommendation(s) for most efficient and cost effective midi encoders/decoders to create lighted combination pistons.

What I want is for the pistons to light when the condition they activate is true, regardless of whether the piston was pushed or not. In other words, if you have a Scoped Registration and you manually enter those stops, that piston should light up. Same outcome with Master Generals, Reversibles and whatever.

Kind of a newbie at this, but that is the way my current Launchpads operate and if I was to create a piston rail, I'd like the same behavior.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Last edited by damuehlbauer on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

Re: Lighted Combination Pistons

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 pm

damuehlbauer wrote:Looking for recommendation(s) for most efficient and cost effective midi encoders/decoders to create lighted combination pistons.

You might consider :

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=LITSW

This board is both an encoder and decoder. There is a limitation on the amount of current that can be drawn by the piston lights as the basic board was designed to drive LED's.

along with one or more master controllers (depending how many LITSW's you need to use:

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=MRG2

As far as the control logic, that's built into Hauptwerk. BTW, I edited this part to make a correction to my original comment..

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

magnaton

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 12:51 am

engrssc wrote:In other words if for instance an 8' Flute on the Great is controlled by every piston, that would mean that turning on that 8' Flute stop would turn on all the pistons. Is that the logic you are looking for?

Hi Ed:

What is asked is for the physical lighted pistons to match the state of the HW virtual pistons. If you hand register some stops and they happen match a HW piston, it lights up. This behavior is also reflected on a Launchpad if a HW piston button is mapped a lighted button.

To the OP:
I'm not that familiar with the boards that Ed recommends but they should work. The setup is MIDI input and MIDI output which is how the Launchpad works as they stay in sync,the physical lights matching the virtual lights so to speak. The lighted pistons should mimic the Launchpads behavior if assigned to a HW piston.

Danny B.

engrssc

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 1:04 am

I originally missed the point of the control logic question as that is already built into,HW. External lighted pistons mirror the HW pistons by means of MIDI output. I don't recall seeing the effect being indicated in the sample set's visual view of the piston's state changing. As compared to how the visual state (on or off) of the stops are shown..This is probably due to the fact that many real pipe organ don't have lighted pistons.

The LITSW board I mentioned is specifically designed to control lighted pistons by means of MIDI out (from HW).

Rgds,
Ec

organsRgreat

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 5:53 pm

This may be slightly off-topic, but Hauptwerk's Stepper General pistons do light up on-screen when the stops activated match those set to a particular piston.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing