It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Novation Launchpad mini (MK3)

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Michael D

Novation Launchpad mini (MK3)

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 9:53 am

Just getting into the whole HW set up, and have purchased two new launchpad minis (MK3) tunning through a Mac mini. I am planning on using them for other applications along with the organ, so thought I would take a chance on the interface with HW. They work fine as MIDI triggers EXCEPT that when I attempt to assign the LP buttons, the select color box on the HW dialogue box is greyed out. I see two possible reasons for this: I am currently using the Lite version, and, that is what is not supported by HW V. (I have been able to work around the problem by setting up the LPs in the Novation Components software, but it adds an otherwise superfluous step.) Any thoughts?

mdyde

Re: Novation Launchpad mini (MK3)

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 10:05 am

Hello Michael,

It won't make any difference which edition of Hauptwerk you're using -- there are no differences in behaviour in relation to MIDI.

I don't know off-hand whether the Launchpad Mini Mk3 model is fully compatible with Hauptwerk's implementation (only the original-version 'Launchpad' and the 'Launchpad Mk2' are officially tested and supported), but if it is then all you should need to do is to make sure that your Launchpad is ticked in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN/OUT') columns on *both* the 'MIDI IN ports' and 'MIDI OUT ports' tabs of the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen, then try auto-detecting Launchpad buttons to virtual stops, etc. You shouldn't need to have any Novation software running, since Hauptwerk talks directly to the Launchpad device (via MIDI).

Searching the forum for 'Launcpad Mini' finds a few posts that might be relevant to compatibility, e.g.:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13668&p=142704#p142704
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Michael D

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 12:03 pm

The only thing that does not seem to work is the ability to change the color of the Launchpad buttons. I can get the buttons to work and respond with the auto-detect, but the place where I should be able to choose the color of the button is grayed out. So, I cannot choose the color through HW. That's why I was using the Novation software work-around.

Michael D

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 am

SO, I am still having no luck getting the Launchpad to work as I think it should. It seems that when I assign a button on the launchpad to work with a stop, for example, I should be able to assign the LP button a color with the drop down menu. That menu is greyed out. Is this not the way it is supposed to work?

mdyde

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 am

Hello Michael,

I can't guarantee that Hauptwerk is compatible with the Launchpad Mini Mk3, since it isn't a model that we've tested with or officially support. However, I see from this topic that Randall Schmid says the model does actually work with Hauptwerk:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19165

Please try:

- Go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen and make sure tha your Launchapd is enabled for 'Console MIDI IN' *and* 'Console MIDI OUT' (i.e. on both screen tabs).

- Load the St. Anne's organ.

- Right-click on a one of its stops (e.g. Great Principal 4), select 'Auto-detect ...', and press, then release, one of your Launchpad's buttons (being careful not to touch anything else).

Does the Launchpad button colour selection then become enabled?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 10:06 am

Hello Michael:

Have you set the MIDI for "output" as Martin suggested in the previous thread:
Launchpad is ticked in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN/OUT') columns on *both* the 'MIDI IN ports' and 'MIDI OUT ports' tabs of the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen,

I personally don't have experience wit hthe MK3 version but past threads have shown that the buttons should light up, but may not be the color you've selected. In other words, the wrong light is better than the no light. If both MIDI input and output is ticked and the colors are still grayed out, it could be that this version of L/P is not recognizable .

My recommendation to HW newbies is to purchase a Launchpad model S. These are gray in color. They can be found on Ebay for reasonable cost plus they have brighter LEDs than the original and there is no engraving on the round buttons. The original had engraving and I think the later models do as well unfortunately. Lauchpads products are well built so their is little worry buying a used one and it being a dud or failing in a short time.

Danny B.

Michael D

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks for your quick replies. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions have worked. I do have the Launchpad enabled within both Console MIDI in and Console MIDI out. Auto-detect works fine, and the button on the Launchpad does exactly what I would expect it to do (in the case of a piston, changes the piston, in the case of a stop, changes the stop's state). The bar with the colour selection just stays grey.

I am looking to see if on the MK3mini there is a state that I need to put the MK3 in to make it accept the colour change. But, that would require HW to be programmed to know the difference, and that seems unlikely.

randallschmid

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 11:57 am

Michael, I suspect the MK3 is not presenting a midi port name that begins with "Launchpad". I believe HW is hardcoded to only enable the color pull down option on ports that begin with "Launchpad".

Since ;you are on a Mac, I believe you can create virtual midi ports and give then names such as "LaunchpadtoHW" and "LaunchpadfromHW". On Windows, this can be done by using a free utility called "loopmidi".

Note also that the mk3 should be in 'DAW" or "Live" mode. Ableton live will automatically switch Launchpads to the appropriate mode when it starts. HW does not and you have to do this manually.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing