It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

Peterson ICS-4000 information?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

notdefined

Peterson ICS-4000 information?

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 4:41 pm

I've been looking at the Peterson site and found the ICS-4000 system to be quite intriguing, especially where Hauptwerk could fit in. What I cannot find is anywhere that lists the price of the unit or impressions about the device. I've noticed that it seems to be the defacto standard when building new or rebuilding/restoring existing pipe organ consoles. Anyone have pricing info or their impressions of the device?

jkinkennon

Re: Peterson ICS-4000 information?

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Wouldn't the features offered by a pipe organ control system be largely redundant for a Hauptwerk setup? The Peterson system could stand in for HW's combination system for example, but what would be gained? I could see the Peterson system becoming useful for a builder of a hybrid organ where the Peterson system would include options to control swell shades and I suppose a host of similar "real" items. Similar functions for HW might involve some custom programming to implement.

One of the pleasant surprises with my recent drawknob console MIDI conversion was the realization that I did not need to store any information about the "state" of any of the controls except whether the actual switch for a key or piston or stop was currently on or off, and that stateful info was only needed for debouncing the contacts.

As I glanced through the ICS-4000 brochure kept seeing features that I already had with the Hauptwerk software.

organtechnology

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 pm

The price of a Peterson control system ranges from $20,000 up. And Hauptwerk is better.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

notdefined

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 pm

$20K? Wow, I was afraid it was going to be something like that. I just had to ask though.

I'll probably forgo any more ideas about using the drawstops in my console and use the touchscreens for a while to see what may show up down the pike.

schantzplayer

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 4:04 am

It would not be that difficult to make the existing drawknobs operational in Hauptwerk. Let Hauptwerk be the combination action. I know some of the midi conversion kits claim to also be a combination action, but I have not seen this for myself yet.

jkinkennon

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 8:13 am

I agree that the drawknobs should be made operational. If I am reading a previous post correctly the console is from a pipe organ and would surely have been built utilizing genuine SAMs. The decoder/driver boards are readily available, but I would suggest getting a professional organ builder to help spec the correct equipment and power supplies for a safe installation.

engrssc

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 am

Have you read Bob Collins' (many) posts/reports of his console conversion for his church? Quite much like you would be doing. The bottom line is, yes, converting a console with real SAMs is quite doable, I didn't say necessarily easy, OTOH, it's well worth the effort. I did a conversion using lighted (LED) draw knobs using strictly Hauptwerk software with proper decoders/encoders. Bob has spent many hours and has done a really outstanding job. His latest being to add real pipes to the digital pipes creating quite a marvelous hybrid instrument.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing