It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Analog amplification - External Sound Card vs. DAC

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Jan Loosman

Re: Analog amplification - External Sound Card vs. DAC

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello Ernst

Glad i could help!

Regards Jan

p.s. en nou lekker orgel spelen!

MikeDC

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 5:38 pm

pat17 wrote:Hello Ernst,

I'm happy it works to your full satisfaction at last! :D

Pat,

I have the PerfectWave DAC which is similar to what you have. If I understand correctly, you are connecting the DAC directly to your PC via USB. Is that right? Did you download drivers from PS Audio to do this? How does this show up in Hauptwerk?

Thanks,
Michael

pat17

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm

MikeDC wrote:I have the PerfectWave DAC which is similar to what you have. If I understand correctly, you are connecting the DAC directly to your PC via USB. Is that right? Did you download drivers from PS Audio to do this? How does this show up in Hauptwerk?

Hello Michael,

The PerfectWave DAC you own is way better than the NuWave I have - the latter being merely a simplified version of the former. Actually the PerfectWave was beyond my budget limits, and its size made it incompatible with my console dimensions... :wink:

Being a Mac user, its installation was very easy - connected the PS Audio to the mains, hooked it to the Mac Mini through a USB cable and it was done. The Mini recognized it straight away. The last step was to select the NuWave in Hauptwerk's Audio Output menu - in my case it was actually done in Reaper.

I can see on your profile you are a PC user, so you have to download a driver from PS Audio before it can work. It looks the driver is the same for both PS Audio DACs, at least for the current models and versions.

The address is here - http://updates.psaudio.com/MarkIIUSBDri ... 1.22.0.zip

Should you intend to give a try on your own setup, I'd love to hear how it works with you! 8)

ernst

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 pm

pat17 wrote:I can see on your profile you are a PC user, so you have to download a driver from PS Audio before it can work. It looks the driver is the same for both PS Audio DACs, at least for the current models and versions.

Now, given my earlier experience with (asynchronous) USB under Windows, this makes me curious how the latency is coming out.

Ernst

MikeDC

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks, Pat! My console is in pieces right now, but once I get it playing again I will try this and let you know.

Mike

pat17

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Good luck in rebuilding it then! :wink:

rivierawurlitzer

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 9:33 am

I think this topic has been quite for a while. I was looking to buy a DAC to replace my M-Audio 2496 PCI card. I see good things about the DAC Magic 100 (without built in amp) and also the Dragonfly 1.2. I mostly listen via headphones but also like to have the ability to drive speakers for friends and family (just 2 channel). My concern is latency. I run a i5 Windows 7 PC and would like to know if anyone else has run the DAC Magic 100 or Dragonfly 1.2 on a PC with good low latency results.

Thanks!!

Andrew
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing