It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:26 pm

Looking for a piano sample (set?)

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Fokko

Re: Looking for a piano sample (set?)

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 am

Thank you very much, Rob, I will study it and try on my system !
Fokko Horst

ernst

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 pm

engrssc wrote:Speaking of (grand) piano sample sets, VI Labs (True Keys - Fort Wayne, IN) similar to others is having a reduced (33% off) Holiday Sale. http://vilabsaudio.com/news As well, a new licensing system (hopefully by Dec 4) that no longer requires the use of a physical dongle (iLok) in their case. That's a very useful development.
Rgds,
Ed

I just bought the VIlabs True Keys Italian (Fazioli F308) for $99.99 and saved the license on my HD - no iLOK. I have a Yamaha digital piano with a really good weighted keyboard and have connected that now to my Hauptwerk PC. I can use the headphones but also the speaker system of the Yamaha. I prefer the headphones. I played so much the last 3 days that I can´t anymore now because of serious muscle pain. :cry: And of course organ neither.

I am extremely happy with the Fazioli. I owned a Bechstein piano before and bought also the True Keys German (Bechstein C234 probably) which was a disappointment. I guess though that it is not the quality of the sample set but the actual sound quality of the Bechstein that I did not like that much - certainly when comparing it to the Fazioli. I have not considered the American Steinway.
See http://www.georgekolasis.com/steinway.html and http://www.georgekolasis.com/fazioli.html.

Hopefully in a few days I can play again. :D

Ernst

engrssc

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 pm

And here all along I thought virtual meant no "muscles" involved? :roll: Can't we just create the thoughts as to what would be played and "it" happens?

I have on my desk a still un-opened item called Leap Motion Controller. http://www.leapmotion.com

Anybody use one of these with or for H/W?

Rgds,
Ed

ernst

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Well, totally off-topic but nevertheless - I visited the Fazioli website and looked at their 21-some videos of their "philosophy" - how they make their grand pianos. Very interesting honestly, and recommended. But what also struck me were the arias of the Goldberg Variations by Andrea Bacchetti which one each accompanied their videos. I found them here - played on a Fazioli piano: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Dynamic/CDS659 for $14.25 downloaded. I´m just listening now...
Thank you guys for bringing this to my attention.

Ernst

solotibia

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 am

I have the UVI workstation running while I wait for the VI Labs Ravenscroft. It's release is imminent. And there is $50 off if purchased before release (crowd funding?).

http://www.vilabsaudio.com

It will alternate with my Galaxy Steinway Vintage D http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/vintage-d.html, indeed, it could quite possibly replace it! And the Galaxy is very, very nice.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/a ... ntaged.htm

What has struck me so far about the UVI engine is that when running the free samples which came with it, when compared to the Kontakt 5 engine which the Galaxy runs on, well, it's almost as if the UVI outcome is alive! Like another few steps closer in realism. Now, maybe this is the difference in samples. But, I don't think so. I think that something special is going on.

I have very high expectations of the Ravenscroft.

Cheers,

James

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 5:43 am

How does this relate to Hauptwerk?
James

solotibia

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 6:07 am

One reason? In addition to connecting up real pipes, some with Hauptwerk VTPOs connect up more sophisticated pianos than those which come with the VTPO sample sets. Actually, I haven't heard yet, of anyone connecting up a real piano to Hauptwerk. But, that day is about to arrive. Indeed, probably this month near Melbourne, Australia. A Yamaha C7X.

Cheers,

ernst

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 12:14 pm

solotibia wrote:I have the UVI workstation running while I wait for the VI Labs Ravenscroft. It's release is imminent. And there is $50 off if purchased before release (crowd funding?).

Hi Solotibia,
Thanks for the tip, I was not aware of this upcoming release, neither the offer. I´ve just bought!
Now like you looking forward!

Ernst

ernst

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 12:20 pm

solotibia wrote:connecting up a real piano to Hauptwerk. But, that day is about to arrive. Indeed, probably this month near Melbourne, Australia. A Yamaha C7X.

How is that - connecting a real piano to Hauptwerk???
Are you talking bout yourself?

Ernst

TheOrganDoc

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I have recently installed the VI Labs American (Steinway) Grand in with my P-3/31,
and it sounds good, "But" I don't have touch midi output yet, so I have yet to hear it's full realism. :roll:

Thirty five years ago I installed a Pianocorder on a clients 7' Grand,
and discovered that its Record Board Output lead could be connected directly to the play board's input lead,
so I then connected it at 16'-8- &4' pitches, on his 4 manual customized Hammond,
to his delight ! :D

Mel---TheOrganDoc---
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

TheOrganDoc

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 12:55 pm

B T W
Most of the "Pizza and Pipes establishments" have been using Yam. Disclavier Pianos for years,
utilizing their Midi input connected directly from their Pipe Organ Midi Relay systems.

As far as I know the Midi input on most Yam. Disclavier pianos,
can be connected directly to a "Hauptwerk Organ", via an extra Midi input,
and would be playable along with a Hauptwerk VTPO at all extensions ! :lol:
Mel

ernst

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 1:08 pm

TheOrganDoc wrote:B T W
Most of the "Pizza and Pipes establishments" have been using Yam. Disclavier Pianos for years,
utilizing their Midi input connected directly from their Pipe Organ Midi Relay systems.

As far as I know the Midi input on most Yam. Disclavier pianos,
can be connected directly to a "Hauptwerk Organ", via an extra Midi input,
and would be playable along with a Hauptwerk VTPO at all extensions ! :lol:
Mel

Thanks Mel, I have had a look at the CX 7 specs but it did not mention a MIDI connection, so that is why I was wondering. I assume now that it does have one.

Ernst

TheOrganDoc

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Ernst,
Lying on your back, if you look at the rear of the control box, you should find both Midi out and Midi in Connectors,
There is also a Midi selector switch near them, that must be set properly!
If you get Midi into it, it should be fabulous ! :D
Mel

solotibia

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Ernst,

No not my installation. Friends in Melbourne who have a large VTPO (over 40 ranks) augmented by 8 ranks of pipes, and sometime this month the Yamaha C7X Disklavier.

Mel, I should have used this link before:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... mode=model

I don't plan to use my Galaxy Vintage D (or VI Labs Ravenscroft when it arrives) with my VPTO. I use it as standalone instrument.

Cheers,

Ian

JSO

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 am

I thought I'd share my experience with the Pianoteq trial. Please note that I'm only an amateur pianist and don't claim to be an expert or eminence in the subject matter!

I played around with Pianoteq today and I must say I didn't really like it that much. I played using my Yamaha digital piano which has a nice weighted keyboard, suitable enough for a practice instrument (but obviously never like the real thing).

My initial impression was "okay, not bad". The sound reminded me a lot of the Kawai upright I learned to play on when I was growing up in my parents house, so right from the start I can tell you that Pianoteq sounds more like a real piano than the samples in my Piano, however, to me it sounded a little muffled, almost as if I had the silent practice pedal permanently engaged on an upright piano -- and PIanoteq's piano is supposed to be a grand. I messed around a little and couldn't find a way to increase the brillance of the instrument. My digital piano's own sampled sounds aren't too bad, but they just sound "too perfect" if you know what I mean. Still, it has a nice brilliance which I've gotten used to and I felt PIanoteq's was the complete opposite.

Not all is lost though, some of the piano effects are very neat and sound great. Of note are the Honky Tonk variants, "Super Tonk" in particular. If you like ragtime like me, give it a try and play your favorite tune, it sounds amazing! Very fun to play for sure. The celestes and xylophones sound beautiful as well. There is a fair amount of adjustability.

Jose.
PreviousNext

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing