It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:45 am

Four-manual 'Glacier' Organ

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JEdge

PostMon Mar 19, 2007 7:56 am

engrssc wrote:I notice the 4 manual idea downsized to 3, or is this an additional model? Also, considering the idea of it being a touring organ, are you considering "shipping" the console in padded cases or such? Last question, what has evolved regarding the touch screens?

Great contemporary design!

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

No, the wooden design was posted by someone else. My design still stands - in fact I'm moving up to 6 manuals now. The perspex has now been delivered ;-)

Best wishes,

Jason

JEdge

PostMon Mar 19, 2007 8:01 am

OrganGrinder wrote:hi

i have only just seen this thread for the first time.

what a fantastic idea, using frosted perspex.

from what i understand, windows xp pro will only support upto 2 processors, if you want to use more you will have to get a business or enterprise copy of windows. i have been considering the use of 4 or 8 processors myself, but honestly, do we really need that much horsepower (and expense) because dual processor systems can play more than 4000 pipes at the moment anyway.

Hello OrganGrinder,

You are right. I ended up buying Windows 2003 Server 64bit Edition. The plan is for my touring instrument to be of a similar scale to the Wanamaker instrument (over 300 ranks, and 30,000 pipes). All very excessive and self indulgent I know - I didn't want to hit an early limit on the 'horsepower' front, and now have an 8-way system with 12Gb memory.

Best wishes,

Jason

JEdge

PostMon Mar 19, 2007 8:06 am

engrssc wrote:I notice the 4 manual idea downsized to 3, or is this an additional model? Also, considering the idea of it being a touring organ, are you considering "shipping" the console in padded cases or such? Last question, what has evolved regarding the touch screens?

Great contemporary design!

Rgds,
Ed

Ed,

With regards to the 'shipping' - I'm envisaging using padded cases as you suspected.

The touch screens are working admirably. I customised four Dell 20" screens using Elotech retrograde touch-screens. The screens are driven off a Matrox 4-way graphics card. I am woring on a customised version of JOrgan that acts as the console (it allows me to create four customised screen layouts - and I communicate the stop changes to HW via MIDI).

All the best,

Jason

OrganGrinder

PostMon Mar 19, 2007 11:44 am

I didn't want to hit an early limit on the 'horsepower' front, and now have an 8-way system with 12Gb memory.

drool drool!!!

what kind of polyphony limit do you have with that monster?

in fact I'm moving up to 6 manuals now

you are not part orangutan are you? LOL

but seriously, i'd like to see some pics when you have it finished
No matter where you go, there you are.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing