It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:01 pm

can you connect two different audio interfaces

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

MikeDC

Re: can you connect two different audio interfaces

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 12:31 pm

mnailor wrote:I apologize for short answers. Typing on a tablet with one finger makes this beyond my ability to explain.

TotalMix has settings for which channels you want to display.

Also please see Motu manual to learn CueMix setup. Same thing there, you have to send inputs to outputs in the mixer.

Good advice. I'll hit the manual. I used to use a MOTU UltraLite so I was able to just connect the 828 to it via firewire and access all the ports, so this ADAT business is a little more complex. Mixers seem overly complex to me, but I'll get it eventually.

mnailor

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Just coming back to this topic. My MOTU 828mk3 used as ADAT to analog converter fried itself last week, so I ordered a MOTU 24Ao to replace it. May take the RME out of the picture and save it for a backup since 24 channels is adequate for my room. Using 16.1 now.

Since the last posts I've learned that both RME and MOTU have matrix views that make routing inputs to outputs a lot easier than the channel strip views. Should have started with that!

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Please let us know how the new MOTU compares to the RME sound wise. I have an Echo Audiofire 12 and some day want to expand, so was looking at the 24Ao with interest as the Echo is discontinued. As I understand it RME is one of the better sounding units, hence my interest in the comparison.

Eric

mnailor

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 10:28 am

It turns out while I'm waiting for the DB25 to TRS cables to ship, it occurred to me that retiring the RME would mean changing MIDI interfaces, followed by over 2000 autodetects to get all my samplesets working with a new MIDI to USB adapter. At least that's what happened last time I had a MIDI port change.

Since that takes me weeks of labor after work, I'll keep the RME as the MIDI and ASIO interface and route its 2 ADATs to the MOTU 24Ao. Still supports expanding to more output amp/speaker channels, since that gives me 12 + 16 and I use 18 now.

The RME also presents a few more ASIO channels to Hauptwerk, 28 vs 24, and I was already using more software channels than my real outputs to let me overlap HW audio groups on some of the same speakers. For example, a rear group shares some speakers on the back wall that are also part of a larger group in a triangle. This could be routed with the 24Ao alone, but with 4 less free software channels to route.

Finally, keeping the RME as the master avoids days of recaching organs because I can keep my audio groups and just reroute in the RME.

dhm

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:47 am

mnailor wrote:....it occurred to me that retiring the RME would mean changing MIDI interfaces, followed by over 2000 autodetects to get all my samplesets working with a new MIDI to USB adapter. At least that's what happened last time I had a MIDI port change.

You shouldn't need to auto-detect everything from scratch again.
Just change the relevant settings from a specific interface to "Any enabled port".
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mnailor

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks. Is that a global, per organ, or per control setting?

dhm

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 1:23 pm

mnailor wrote:Thanks. Is that a global, per organ, or per control setting?

Per organ. Go into Organ settings, then > Keyboards, Expression pedals, stops/pistons (if you have them), etc.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

mnailor

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Oh, I see it. It's per control, so it's still over 2000 settings for me to change, unless there's a higher-level setting I'm missing.

dhm

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 1:38 pm

mnailor wrote:Oh, I see it. It's per control, so it's still over 2000 settings for me to change, unless there's a higher-level setting I'm missing.

You can do several consecutively at a time by holding down the Shift Key, or non-consecutively by using the CTRL key.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

mnailor

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Okay, thank you.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 3:16 am

dhm wrote:
mnailor wrote: ....it occurred to me that retiring the RME would mean changing MIDI interfaces, followed by over 2000 autodetects to get all my samplesets working with a new MIDI to USB adapter. At least that's what happened last time I had a MIDI port change.

You shouldn't need to auto-detect everything from scratch again.
Just change the relevant settings from a specific interface to "Any enabled port".

It's important to bear in mind that in general it's only safe to do that if you only ever (now or in the future) have a single MIDI IN port enabled in Hauptwerk (otherwise you're likely to get unexpected results due to virtual controls responding to MIDI messages from a different/unintended MIDI IN port).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 3:21 am

Understood. Thanks, Martin.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

mnailor

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Just a followup on MOTU 24Ao. I set it up as an ADAT to analog converter driven by the RME UFX, and it was a mostly effortless replacement of my dead MOTU 828. Sounds great.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing