It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

Headphone out in I-Mac versus audio box

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Henrius

Headphone out in I-Mac versus audio box

PostMon Aug 17, 2015 8:41 pm

When I bought my first I-Mac in 2006, I bought a PreSonus Firebox to go with it because my Sweetwater Music rep told me I needed it.

Later the Firebox burned out and PreSonus repaired it. It burned out again and I bought a refurbished one on E-Bay for $99. It has worked erratically with my 2011 I-Mac using the latest Mac OS. Someone said there is a OS compatibility problem with the old Fireboxes.

I am a simple guy. I only have two ears, so don't see any need for more than two channels. Why do I need an audio-out box at all?

People say the Mac audio-out through the console headphone jack is fine. I was thinking about buying a Y adaptor to plug into the back of my I-Mac. To one I would plug in my headphones. To the other I would plug in an adaptor which would let me connect my 1/4" audio jacks from the crossover, which leads to the amp and powered subwoofer, avoiding an audio-out box altogether.

1. Anyone know where I could buy such adaptors?
2. Anyone have a good reason I really need another box like a Focusrite Starett or PreSonus AudioBox USB?

My only concern is such adaptors from the I-Mac headphone jack would cost as much as a $99 audio out box.

ldeutsch

Re: Headphone out in I-Mac versus audio box

PostMon Aug 17, 2015 10:51 pm

I run Hauptwerk on several Macs and the built-in audio jack is excellent - assuming you only need stereo of course!

If you want to have "y" for headphones, I would consider adding a mini mixer (sometimes sold as a "keyboard mixer") which you can buy online or at any music store for well under $99. It should have a line in to accept a cable from your Mac and at least two faders to control the overall mix. These boxes typically have two outputs - one that you can use for tour powered monitors and one for your headphones. For a little extra money, you can get one that includes an effects processor to add reverb (though the built in Mac reverb using AU-Lab is also great.)

Les

k2bhm

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 12:57 am

From another 2-eared mortal, here's what I (and possibly a load of others) do -
Take a lead from the audio output of the iMac to the INPUT of a Pro-ject Headbox Headphone amp. I plug in my AKG702 to that for headphone use.
From the OUTPUT from the Headbox I connect it to the Tuner input on my Yamaha amp and thence to my speakers and subwoofer.
That way, for Headphone use, the Headbox is on, but the Yamaha is OFF. For speaker use, unplug headphones and switch on Yamaha.
The Headbox amp is louder than the iMac output, and better sound than the Yamaha headphone jack. I also found that using surround-sound speakers and subwoofer, I could not silence all the speakers when using the headphone jack, hence the Headbox was slipped in between.

mdyde

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 am

(Topic moved here.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Henrius

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 7:59 am

k2bhm wrote:From another 2-eared mortal, here's what I (and possibly a load of others) do -
Take a lead from the audio output of the iMac to the INPUT of a Pro-ject Headbox Headphone amp. I plug in my AKG702 to that for headphone use.
From the OUTPUT from the Headbox I connect it to the Tuner input on my Yamaha amp and thence to my speakers and subwoofer.
That way, for Headphone use, the Headbox is on, but the Yamaha is OFF. For speaker use, unplug headphones and switch on Yamaha.
The Headbox amp is louder than the iMac output, and better sound than the Yamaha headphone jack. I also found that using surround-sound speakers and subwoofer, I could not silence all the speakers when using the headphone jack, hence the Headbox was slipped in between.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a logical way to do it. However, the outputs on the back of the Pro-ject Headbox sound like they are RCA plug, if it goes to a consumer stereo amp. Mine audio outputs go to a Samson crossover and then to amps- all using 1/4" pro audio connectors.

Henrius

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 am

ldeutsch wrote:I run Hauptwerk on several Macs and the built-in audio jack is excellent - assuming you only need stereo of course!

If you want to have "y" for headphones, I would consider adding a mini mixer (sometimes sold as a "keyboard mixer") which you can buy online or at any music store for well under $99. It should have a line in to accept a cable from your Mac and at least two faders to control the overall mix. These boxes typically have two outputs - one that you can use for tour powered monitors and one for your headphones. For a little extra money, you can get one that includes an effects processor to add reverb (though the built in Mac reverb using AU-Lab is also great.)

Les

Thanks. I don't recall seeing such a mixer. Could you give me the make and model of yours?

I have got an old Mackie mixer in the basement with a headphone output I could use. The trouble is the inputs are 1/4" instead of the mini-heaphone style like on the I-Mac.

ldeutsch

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 10:30 am

I am not using such a mixer with any my organs, I only suggested it as an easy solution to getting the extra output for your headphones.

Most of these mixers (Mackie is one of several suppliers) have line inputs designed for iPods or CD players so DJs can mix in their own music. Most have RCA inputs for this, and I'll bet a lot of them also have 1/8" mini plugs today. You will have to do the research online or stop by your local Guitar Center (or equivalent.) You can get an adapter to go from the Mac's 1/8" to RCA connectors and this will not impact the sound in any way.

Les

NickNelson

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 am

Henrius wrote:1. Anyone know where I could buy such adaptors?

Search for "Headphone splitter" you should easily find one for a few dollars. That should take care of getting separate outputs for the headphones and the amplifier. You would need some additional adaptor to convert to 1/4", but that wouldn't be difficult ot expensive either I'd have thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Cable-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3C ?

Whether it works well would depend on the input impedence of the crossover, but it's not going to cost much to try.

Nick

engrssc

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 am

Behringer makes a model (Micro Amp) HA400. One stereo input, 4 stereo (headphone - line level) outputs each with their level control. Connectors are TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) 1/4" phone plug connectors. It is a powered amp and comes with a12 volt DC "wall wart" power supply.. High quality, low noise.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1311.R8.TR10.TRC2.A0.H5.XHA400.TRS0&_nkw=behringer+ha400&_sacat=0

1/4' 6.35mm Plug to 1/8' 3.5mm Jack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Gold-1-4-6-5mm-Male-to-Mini-Jack-1-8-3-5mm-Female-Adapter-Stereo-Plug-TRS-/261914658680?hash=item3cfb548778

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pcs-1-4-6-35mm-Plug-to-1-8-3-5mm-Jack-Gold-Headphone-Audio-Stereo-Adapter-/131338172330?hash=item1e945d77aa

Rgds,
Ed

Henrius

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks guys for all these solutions. Especially like the simple idea of a 1/8" headphone plug to double 1/4 plug. Good to know others of you out their are frugal and skeptical about buying all sorts of outboard boxes like I am.

Maybe I will just go to my local Guitar Center where they probably have all sorts of cables and adaptors you all have described.

How could I live without the Hauptwerk forum?

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing