It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

turn pages of sheet music

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Arp

turn pages of sheet music

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 pm

I have three monitors, two touch screen and one normal, that I use to read the music. It would be possible to incorporate within Hauptwerk a pdf reader , interfacing a midi button to turn the pages (forward and back button)?

mdyde

Re: turn pages of sheet music

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Hello Arp,

Yes -- we do already have that logged as an enhancement request. (See also: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14470#p108151 .)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Organorak

PostTue Sep 22, 2015 4:51 pm

I have been doing this quite successfully for the past five years using a "hack" that consists of Bomes MIDI Reader looking for a piston trigger signal and on receiving it, sending a keystroke to Autohotkey script that brings Acrobat into focus and turns the page.

Sylvaticus

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 7:41 am

The open-source reader "Evince" has worked very well for me, using a separate monitor oriented vertically, and a separate mouse hooked up to a knee lever under the keybed. When I've got the organ set up and ready to play, I click on view / presentation mode and position the mouse pointer somewhere on the page; this makes Evince the active window, but no midi functions (presets, stop buttons, etc.) are affected as long as you have mechanical midi controls for them. If you need to click on anything on the Hauptwerk screen, of course, this changes the active window and you have to minimize Hauptwerk to go back to reading the score.

I used Plural Input for a while, which allowed me to dedicate the 2nd mouse specifically to the 2nd screen; then I was able to use the touch screen controls for Hauptwerk without interrupting Evince. However, Plural Input seems to slow things down quite a bit (even though playing doesn't seem to be affected) and since my computer is not state-of-the-art, I decided to just stick with switching the active window, as above. It all works very well - until I go back to sheet music and keep whacking my knee on the keybed. :D

RichardW

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 9:29 am

The more I read about page turning and Hauptwerk the more I think that having a separate computer for the job would be a good idea. Computers can be very small and cheap these days. For instance: Image

It plugs straight in to a monitor, has its own USB port and that particular one costs just under £80 in the UK.
http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-comp ... GwodAukGUw

Windows and Linux versions are available. The WiFi link could be used to keep the main music store on a separate device.

Please note: I have not tried this and this is not a recommendation but it is in my list of things to consider when a computer upgrade becomes due.
Richard

engrssc

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 5:22 am

BTW, Newegg has them for $120 USD which includes w/l keyboard. Almost the size of a thumb drive.A little slow and not enough RAM for any larger HW instrument, but useful for many extra applications. (Now where did I leave my computer? :roll: )

iView - Cyber PC Compute Stick

Quick Info

Mini PC

Processor
Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz

Processor Main Features
64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor
2 MB L2 Cache

Memory
2 GB DDR3

Storage
32 GB

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics

Operating System
Windows 8.1

CPU Type
Intel Atom

CPU Speed
Z3735F (1.33 GHz)

L2 Cache Per CPU
2 MB

CPU Main Features
64 bit Quad-Core Processor

GPU/VGA Type
Intel HD Graphics

Memory Capacity
2 GB DDR3

HDD
32 GB

WLAN
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN

Bluetooth 4.0

Front USB
Micro USB

Card Reader
Micro Card Reader (Max: 32GB)

Dimensions (H x W x D)
4.33" x 1.5" x 0.39"

Rgds,
Ed

abaymajr

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 7:51 am

Organorak wrote:I have been doing this quite successfully for the past five years using a "hack" that consists of Bomes MIDI Reader looking for a piston trigger signal and on receiving it, sending a keystroke to Autohotkey script that brings Acrobat into focus and turns the page.

I am also using Bome MIDI Translator to send kestrokes to the PDF Reader. Unfortunately, it's a bit sluggish in translating MIDI messages to keystrokes, what's not very tolerable for page turning purpose. Hope this might be fixed for a next release.

As for the PDF Reader, I'd like to leave an small contribution (for those who don't know about yet) calling attention to another germany-made software: PDF Annotator (http://www.pdfannotator.com/en/). It's a very powerful reader and PDF editor even for a conventional desktop/notebook. With a TabletPC and an active Stylus pen, it's a very user friendly substitute to the paper/pencil combination, with a lot of advantages of portability and features. I'm still in the trial period but I will probably finish it purchasing the software.

Organorak

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 4:35 am

abaymajr wrote:I am also using Bome MIDI Translator to send kestrokes to the PDF Reader. Unfortunately, it's a bit sluggish in translating MIDI messages to keystrokes, what's not very tolerable for page turning purpose. Hope this might be fixed for a next release.

How does your keystroke activate the PDF reader? I use Bome's keystroke to activate an Autohotkey command which brings Acrobat into focus and turns the page, and I have not found any latency whatsoever. (However, occasionally I get a big CPU spike which results in an audio glitch at the moment of the page turn which is proving annoyingly difficult to sort out - have you noticed anything similar?)

abaymajr

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 7:19 am

Organorak wrote:
abaymajr wrote:I am also using Bome MIDI Translator to send kestrokes to the PDF Reader. Unfortunately, it's a bit sluggish in translating MIDI messages to keystrokes, what's not very tolerable for page turning purpose. Hope this might be fixed for a next release.

How does your keystroke activate the PDF reader? I use Bome's keystroke to activate an Autohotkey command which brings Acrobat into focus and turns the page, and I have not found any latency whatsoever. (However, occasionally I get a big CPU spike which results in an audio glitch at the moment of the page turn which is proving annoyingly difficult to sort out - have you noticed anything similar?)

As I said, I use BOME to send page up and page down keystrokes to PDF reader, not to activate it. I run it before, and change applications through a simple horizontal touchscreen movement from the left border. No glitches turning pages, at least with PDF Annotator and some samplesets I use to play with, which are not so CPU-intensive (Sonus Paradisi St. Michel en Thierache and OAM 1687 Arp Schnitger). CPU is a mobile Intel i7 5500U (2.4-3GHz 2-core 4-thread), so it's a rather simple CPU for Hauptwerk purpose.

Have you investigated power settings? Some months ago, when I experiencing HW for the first time, I discovered that power saving settings (even when connected to the power supply) substantially rises the occurences of audio glitches. Another glitch-prevention action I usually take is to put the notebook (my Hauptwerk portable hardware) in Airplane mode before running Hauptwerk, so no application or service go on with transmissions, updates and other tasks which would cause problems to HW.

Organorak

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 pm

I use a desktop PC - not sure how power settings would interfere?

macpianoman

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 9:23 pm

I use an Ipad with Forscore where I put almost all of my music into as pdfs. You can buy different triggers for it that connect with Bluetooth. I use it mostly for the piano but I also use with the organ. There are several page turner devices but they are basically a wireless keyboard with 2 functions. Page left and page right. Build your own:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bluetoo ... usic-apps/

ludu

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 9:02 am

Is Music Reader the only software able to turn the pages of a PDF file when its window is not active in the foreground?
Luc

Romanos

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 am

If you are running on mac this is an option for you:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlueTurn
iRig Blue Turn.

I recently purchased one and I've tested it and it will scroll web pages and the like no problems. I'm sure if you turn it on in "next page" mode it would work well in any pdf viewer. I've recently hacked this using custom system keystrokes to make poor man's toe studs (sequencer forward/back) and it works perfectly. I will start a thread about that soon.

ludu

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 10:00 am

Many thanks Romanos for this tip. Unfortunately, I am using a PC running with Windows 7 Pro. A friend has advised me AutoHotkey with the following script: ^SPACE:: Winset, Alwaysontop, , A. I have tried it, replacing the blank space with the location of my program, but my script must be wrong. I have written: ^SPACE:: Winset, Alwaysontop, "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCview.exe", A. Up to now, I do not yet understand where the error is.
Luc

evertjan

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Luc
the used syntax is fault

The right syntax is
^SPACE:: Winset, Alwaysontop, , A

So without the program name

Click File > Reload Script in AutoHotkey. You can now press Ctrl + Space while AutoHotkey is running in the background and the currently active window will become always-on-top. Press Ctrl+Space again and the window will no longer be always-on-top.
If you don’t like the Ctrl+Space combination, you can change the ^SPACE part of the script to set a new keyboard shortcut.
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing