It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am

How do I automate a general piston to go ON from Cubase?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

RSTEED

PostSun Oct 25, 2015 11:29 am

I know how to control the pistons straight from my MIDI keyboard but how do I control one piston from cc 2 2nd piston from cc 3 third piston from cc4 and so on?
Richard Steed

mdyde

Re: How do I automate a general piston to go ON from Cubase?

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 4:15 am

Hello Richard,

[Topic moved here.]

The whole 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying real-time reverb' section in the user guide (pages 181-199 in the current v4.2.1 version) covers the main ways in which you can use a sequencer with Hauptwerk in detail, and the advantages/disadvantages of each approach.

For sequencing, there are basically two approaches:

1. The method covered in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section (pages 189-194), whereby you configure things manually and insert/record the data into your sequencer directly, rather than recording the events from Hauptwerk. Hence you would need to configure the MIDI events for the virtual pistons/stops (right-click on them and select 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...' and insert those events into your sequencer project at the desired locations. That's the method that most composers choose, and it allows you to trigger any combinations from your sequencer project.

2. The method covered in the 'Recording, playing back and editing live solo performances with a MIDI sequencer dedicated to Hauptwerk (Bi-directional control of the sequencer from Hauptwerk)' sub-section (pages 184-189), whereby you have have full bi-directional recording playback of Hauptwerk's events (as well as full MIDI organ console control/integration ability), but need to set up the sequencer in a special way for Hauptwerk use exclusively, and stops are controlled directly, rather than by recording combination/piston events. That's the method covered in our Cubase (v8.5) tutorial: https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials-sequencing/2015/06/08/hauptwerk-with-cubase/ ... and for which the caveats listed at the start of the tutorial apply, i.e. these:

The tutorial covers how you can set up Hauptwerk with a MIDI sequencer specifically for recording and playing live solo organ performances in a similar way to Hauptwerk’s built-in MIDI recorder/player, and using the same special, fixed, combination set-independent and hardware-independent MIDI implementation, for the reasons covered in the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed MIDI implementation' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (pages 181 in the v4.2.1 version). This type of configuration, and the associated fixed MIDI implementation, are intended to be appropriate specifically for solo organists playing live and then replaying and editing their performances. To be able to achieve this you need to configure your MIDI sequencer in a particular, and non-conventional, way (covered below), which wouldn’t normally be appropriate for other uses.

In particular, this type of configuration would not normally be appropriate if:

• the MIDI sequencer needs to control multiple virtual instruments simultaneously, as in a conventional recording studio, or:

• MIDI parts need to be recorded or entered by hand directly within the MIDI sequencer (for example, when composing pieces), or:

• the MIDI sequencer is sometimes used with virtual instruments other than Hauptwerk (since it probably wouldn’t then be convenient to reconfigure it before and after using Hauptwerk each time).

In any of those situations, we recommend not configuring Hauptwerk and the MIDI sequencer in the way covered in this tutorial, but instead configuring them in the (more conventional) way covered in the applicable one of the two sections in the user guide: 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally' or 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software'.

Hence am I correct in thinking that you've decided upon the method covered by option 1 above?

If so, you should just need to follow the instructions in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section (pages 189-194), which covers selecting the MIDI ports appropriately, using right-click to configure your preferred MIDI events for pistons, etc.

If you follow those instructions, do you then have everything working how you'd like it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RSTEED

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 am

Why did you just delete this topic I posted. That was so ignorant.
I want to know how I can automate the general pistons to go fro an automation track in Cubase.
You delete this topic again,I'll stop using this forum.
Richard Steed

mdyde

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 10:21 am

Hello Richard,

Nobody deleted your post. I just moved it to the appropriate section of the forum this morning ('Audio/MIDI interfacing', which is the section of the forum that covers using sequencers with Hauptwerk), as well as replying to it:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14647

Please see my reply there.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 10:29 am

P.S. There's an option whenever posting on the forum to be notified automatically by the forum software whenever somebody replies to your topic (which will work even if the topic has been moved). You can also turn that option on as the default via the 'Profile | Board settings' forum settings.

RSTEED wrote:That was so ignorant. ... You delete this topic again,I'll stop using this forum.

Please calm down. I was trying to help you.
Best regards, Martin.

RSTEED

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 10:57 am

I don't think you understand. I know how to use sequenced MIDI date to control Hauptwerk,I've worked that out.
It's just that the automation for controlling the pistons isn't working. Whereas when I use the knobs and CC's fro the keyboard, it works.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the clarification.

Can you just confirm which of the two approaches I mentioned you're currently using? Put another way, do you have the MIDI IN port that connects to Cubase to Hauptwerk (usually the 'Hauptwerk VST Link' port) ticked in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN'), or the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI IN') port?

That determines what's possible, and how you would do it.
Best regards, Martin.

RSTEED

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Normally, I never have a problem assigning a CC number in a plug-in such as Kontakt.
Normally I assign a button on my MIDI controller keyboard with lets say, CC 03 in the expression window in Cubase. Then ,in Kontakt, I pick an articulation and select the CC 03 ,so when I've recorded an automation track in Cubase, everytime CC 03 on has been recorded, the articulation will sound.
I can't do this in Hauptwerk. Why? Why does it have to be so complicated in Hauptwerk.
It shouldn't be.
I'm not at all impressed. I'm absolutely disgusted.

I want lets say, General Piston 6 to be activated everytime it plays on in the automation track, after everytime I select another piston number manually. The Automation track in Cubase and Hauptwerk is not handshaking. There is simply no communication between the two, only between my Novation Launchkey MIDI keyboard and Hauptwerk.
Please help.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello Richard,

(I've merged your two topics on it together here, so that we aren't both replying in duplicate.)

I'll await you answer to my previous question, i.e. this one:

mdyde wrote:Can you just confirm which of the two approaches I mentioned you're currently using? Put another way, do you have the MIDI IN port that connects to Cubase to Hauptwerk (usually the 'Hauptwerk VST Link' port) ticked in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN'), or the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI IN') port?

That determines what's possible, and how you would do it.
Best regards, Martin.

RSTEED

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes, thanks. All sorted now. I clicked on the left console for the Hauptwerk link. Superb!

mdyde

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 3:44 am

Thanks, Richard.

Excellent.

Yes -- the method covered in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section of the user guide (pages 189-194, v4.2.1) is the preferred approach by most people using Hauptwerk for composing (i.e. having the VST Link port ticked in the left-hand 'Console MIDI IN' column). (The 'Sequencer MIDI IN' column is just meant for other special usage, i.e. for organists recording/playing back live performances.)
Best regards, Martin.

mkc1

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Martin: As usual, I'm impressed by your thorough and polite responses.

Richard: Learn some manners. I've never seen such insufferable rudeness.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing