It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:27 pm

Reducing audio output – use Trim or Volume control?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

organsRgreat

Reducing audio output – use Trim or Volume control?

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 7:24 am

I've just reconfigured my system so as to use Reaper's software mixers instead of external hardware mixers, and one result is an amazing increase in output. Using the large “MIDI, Audio and Performance” panel, is it better to reduce audio output with the Volume control or the Trim control? Which gives a better signal to noise ratio? I currently have the Volume control set to 20 and the Trim at the default -10db.

oliver_mayes

Re: Reducing audio output – use Trim or Volume control?

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 9:52 am

I personally leave all my volumes (on each organ) set at 100 and trim down for the correct volume. To me, this improves he signal to noise ratio.
Ollie Mayes

mdyde

PostFri Mar 04, 2016 4:22 am

organsRgreat wrote:Using the large “MIDI, Audio and Performance” panel, is it better to reduce audio output with the Volume control or the Trim control? Which gives a better signal to noise ratio? I currently have the Volume control set to 20 and the Trim at the default -10db.

There's no difference at all between the two adjustments with regard to audio quality.

The 'Trim dB' sending is primarily intended for balancing the levels of sample sets relative to each other, i.e. as a long-term/static level setting, whereas the 'Volume' slider is primarily intended for moving in real-time and/or for short-term/temporary adjustments to dip the level. Normally one would leave the Volume slider at 100%.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Good – that's what I wanted to do. With a multi-channel system it's convenient to have a means of adjusting the volume of all outputs simultaneously (the option of MIDI control is useful), whilst the Trim control ensures that each sample set will be at an appropriate level. Thanks gentlemen.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing