It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

Hardware for surround?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

wfveennl

Hardware for surround?

PostWed May 04, 2016 2:19 am

I am new to Hauptwerk configurations and am trying to wrap my head around de hardware needed for a decent setup.

I was thinking of a 3-manual setup with surround 4.1 and maybe expand the number of channels later. I was thinking to buy:
-5 (or 4 if sub is active) class-D or class-T amplifier boards with powersupply
-a external audio interface with maybe 8 @ 12 channels (Thinking of a RME)
-2 front- and 2 rear speakers (passive) and a subwoofer (has to be active?)
-Time suspended switch relais to control power up of equipment.

I an trying to avoid making mistakes in the choice and purchase of equipment. I suppose this is a pretty common configuration, so my question is if anybody has any tips on which equipment (brand & model) is of proven quality (especially speakers, also in combo with the subwoofer) to use for this setup.

Looking forward to your reactions.

mdyde

Re: Hardware for surround?

PostWed May 04, 2016 4:06 am

Hello wfveennl,

With regard to the audio interface, I have an RME UFX, which I've found to work and perform very well on both OS X (10.7 - 10.11) and Windows (7 - 10), so I could recommend that. (The RME UCX and UC models are slightly cut-down versions, which are probably equally reliable choices.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RichardW

PostWed May 04, 2016 11:55 pm

I have an RME UCX which is just big enough for a 4.1 system with headphones. It has one analogue output spare -> 4 + 1 + 2 = 7. If you think you might need more than that in the near future then you might want to opt for its bigger brother.

As for speakers, if finances permit, I would just pick one of the "well thought of" active monitor speakers from Adam or Genelec. I bought some Neumann KH 120A's which is another option. If you think you might end up with a dozen speakers with a C/C# split, for instance, then you might want to consider the final cost as well as the initial cost.

A possible problem with active or powered speakers is that they need both an audio connection and a mains connection. Even for quite small cable runs that can be inconvenient.

As for sub-woofers I like the ones from BK Electronics. They are not available in hi-fi shops probably because they are OEMs for people like MJ Acoustics. http://www.bkelec.com/ One of their XXLS400's fills my small room without any problem. I seem to recall that someone here used a couple of their Monoliths to fill a church.

(I have no connection with any of the companies mentioned above.)

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that my set up is quite compact and the advice above relates to that. I have the speakers (nearfield monitors) only a few feet away and pointing straight at me - like big earphones :) If your requirements differ then that may affect your speaker choice.

Regards,
Richard

profeluisegarcia

PostThu May 05, 2016 9:54 am

Hello all¡
Please let me hang me to this post for a perhaps relevant question:

I have two stereo systems (one of them with amplified subs) connected to a split cable that comes from Mac headphones plug. Could I make a kind of surround system with them ? If so, what kind of additional hardware would I need (and some instructions would be also helpful and appreciated).

Thanks,
Luis

TheOrganDoc

PostThu May 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Add a Lexicon MX400 Surround Reverb device,
generates surround from a pair of Stereo inputs ! :wink:

One Stereo Pair, is One Stereo Pair, no getting around it ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing