It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 am

Cymatic LP-16

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

lupham

Cymatic LP-16

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 6:13 pm

any one using this.. and how's it working out

thanks Lynn

mdyde

Re: Cymatic LP-16

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 3:57 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Hoofdwerk

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 am

Yes, I got one for a new Mac Pro system. I'm only using the audio side (I have a separate MIDI interface), but is is working well. The audio quality is a clear step up from the old M-Audio 1010LT I had on the PC this system replaced.

It's only been three weeks, so I can't speak to longevity, but the setup and operation has been nice so far, and the sound is quite good. Seems to be good value for the price.

lupham

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Great to hear, I have an older M-1820 that looks like it's dead no sound but midi works, so I need something to replace it. How did you hook it up mono vs stereo etc. I have three stereo amps, 6 speakers and one sub. Thanks for the post Lynn

Hoofdwerk

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 am

I have a basic surround setup with two stereo amps, so it's a trivial setup using channels 1-4. Full range speakers on 1-2, and a sub with cutoff on 3-4 to two satellite speakers for rear channels.

lupham

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 1:12 pm

I have it on order, should be here by Wed this week I'll tell you how it goes. Im hoping this get everything back playing again.. lynn

lupham

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 am

Organ back playing, very easy set up, just software update, plug in midi and amps done. Lynn

Bri

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 6:19 am

Hi,
I note a number of people say they have got, are getting or thinking of getting one of these interfaces.
I would be very grateful if someone who has used it for a while could say categorically whether it is a good buy - sound quality wise.
Cheers
Brian

Hoofdwerk

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:46 am

If you are using Windows, then this is probably a good choice. My experience on Mac OS has not been as good over time as my initial impressions might suggest in the previous post. I'd had the LP16 just a few weeks when that question came in. I'd not noticed a problem yet:

There seems to be some issue with the LP16 and Mac OS that causes intermittent CPU spikes, which occur roughly every 10 minutes. I updated the LP16 firmware twice, including the most recent release, and the problem persists. The spikes vary in size according the the HW CPU meter, but last no more than 1s and can push the CPU meter near or into the yellow zone. On some occasions, I have seen it spike into the red.

When I used the same model pointed to the Mac's internal audio instead, there were no spikes. I have replaced the LP16 with a Focusrite Clarett 2 using Thunderbolt, and there are no spikes.

I can't say whether this is a problem on Windows or not - perhaps someone else here who is using the LP16 on Windows can tell you. But, at least for now, be cautious about using one of these on a Mac. It could be this particular unit, but the behavior seems more consistent with some nuanced software issue. So I now have a near-new LP16 sitting on my shelf.

Overall, I was quite happy with the LP16's sound quality, ease of setup and use, etc. It's too bad this issue appeared. But I can say that the Focusrite Clarett is also very nice sound, and (if you have Thunderbolt) might be a great option as well.

Erik

Bri

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Eric,
Many thanks for that, but as I have a Windows system hopefully someone else may reply.
Cheers
Brian

lupham

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Well I have had this for few months now with only one issue. The headphone does not work at least on mine. I did get it used from B&H and may be why is was returned. I did contact support many times but was unable to get them to understand how I was using there product. Never got a for sure answer that it works the way it's used with Hauptwerk. I finally went with a DAC I had and use that for headphones. When I'm on speakers (sub and 4 pairs ) works perfect.

Doug S.

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Can anyone comment regarding any latency limit? I may consider one of these unless it increases latency. A quick look at their user guide gives no information on the subject.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing