It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

Anybody using Edirol PCR-M80 W/ 64 bit Win 7?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ChangedForever

Anybody using Edirol PCR-M80 W/ 64 bit Win 7?

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Friend at work needs a brake job and I need my 4th keyboard. He'll swap the Edirol PCR-M80 for me doing his brake job as he never uses it any longer. The Edirol has it's own a/c adapter which I'll merge with the other 3 keyboards (will not use USB power for it)

I'm currently using 3 Fatar keyboards routed to a Motu 4X4 hub with it's USB going to the Motu Ultra-light MK3, then routing to fire-wire to the computer.

Will have to get more midi in ports for the Motu as the 4 X 4 is maxed out - was considering a Motu Express 8 X 8 for all the midi devices. Natch' I'll be taking the keyboard out of it's case and installing into my own keycheeks.

Has anybody else had problems with this install? I read there were some problems with XP. Seems to me the Edirol has midi out which SHOULD be read properly by the 8 X 8, then I let Hauptwerk 4.2.1 autodetect it like it does my Fatars and Rogers pedals and all should be well....... right?

mdyde

Re: Anybody using Edirol PCR-M80 W/ 64 bit Win 7?

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 5:05 am

Hello Mark,

I haven't tried either the Edirol PCR-M80, or a MOTU Express 128. However, MOTU do support the Express 128 on Windows 7, 8 and 10, and apparently the Edirol does have a MIDI OUT, so I would expect that to be fine to connect it via a MOTU Express 128.

The Express 128 uses the same driver as the MOTU Microlite, which I do have. I've found my Microlite to work and perform very well, with the one exception that occasionally it doesn't get recognised when Windows boots, and I need to unplug it, then plug it back in again, which makes Windows see it. (However, that might possibly not be any fault of the device itself, e.g. because I have it connected via a USB hub that in turn is connected via a USB leads that's longer than the recommended length).

I see also that the Edirol has a USB connection, so you could potentially connect it directly to the PC via that (instead of via a MIDI cable). However, connecting via MIDI ports to a multi-port MIDI interface (e.g. a MOTU Express 128)) usually avoids potential issues with Windows sometimes renaming/renumbering USB ports/devices, and/or sometimes losing USB device connections. My personal preference would always be to connect via MIDI for that reason.

Note that if you changed your MIDI interface then you would potentially need to auto-detect your MIDI settings again in Hauptwerk.

ChangedForever wrote:Seems to me the Edirol has midi out which SHOULD be read properly by the 8 X 8, then I let Hauptwerk 4.2.1 autodetect it like it does my Fatars and Rogers pedals and all should be well....... right?

Correct.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing