It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:43 am

Using keyboard (of pc) to manipulate stops

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Mathijs

Using keyboard (of pc) to manipulate stops

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 8:37 am

Hi all,

in my quest to be a minimalist on the hardware front, I've tried to use my computer keyboard (the one with letters, not notes) to operate the stops on my organ. In principle this works fine ("Q" is all the reeds of the third manual, etc. It takes a bit of memorization, but there you go). Unfortunately, I've hit a snag. I often play using sheet music from a pdf. That means that while I'm playing, Hauptwerk is not the "selected" programme, but is running in the background (the pdf reader is the selected foreground programme). Unfortunately that means that the keyboard shortcuts (for the keyboard with letters) don't work. Does anyone know a way around this? From what I've seen for other (unrelated) software, I should set the "hotkeys" I created to be "global", so that the work always. Is there any way to do this on Hauptwerk?

Thanks in advance,
Mathijs

csw900

Re: Using keyboard (of pc) to manipulate stops

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 am

I doubt if you will have much success with your idea.

Why don't you just use another computer for the pdf's.

csw900

Mathijs

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 am

Because then I would need two computers...

If I'd buy new hardware, I'd probably buy some midi controller (I've been browsing around for those a bit today). That would be a lot cheaper than buying another computer. But space is also an important consideration. I don't really have space for another screen. In fact, the screen I currently use also functions as my music stand :).

IainStinson

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 am

Have you considered using a Novation Launchpad? They are quite popular with users on this forum and provide 64+16 illuminated buttons which HW auto detect supports.

You can find some of the older models at reduced prices and the Launchpad mini offers the same number of controls in a more compact form. They attach via USB and only the basic Novation driver is needed for them to work with HW 4.

Check out on this forum before buying since I think the newest launch pads are not fully supported(yet) as the are not backward compatible with the older models.

Iain

Mathijs

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks Iain, that's a useful suggestion. I had been browsing those kinds of apparatuses a bit and they seem like a good solution. Especially the fact that the buttons light up is rather useful and obviously hard to implement with a pc keyboard. I've been trying now with my keyboard and apart from the switching back and forth between the pdf and hauptwerk, remebering which stops I pulled out and making sure I was successful when I pulled a stop were also quite a hassle.
I'll buy one of these pads. I do think a global assignment of key shortcuts to pc keyboards (or even extra keys on playing keyboard, I have 88 on one of mine that I now only use completely when I play the piano) would be a useful functionality and I wonder if it can be done.

engrssc

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Yes, you can Auto Detect (playing) keyboard keys by first clicking (assuming you have a mouse) on which ever stop or piston you want, select Auto Detect then pressing a (playing) key to assign it to the chosen stop or piston. (And playing keys are relatively easy to label.) You can use either the "extra" keys (beyond the 61 normal organ manual keyboard compass) on the treble end or extra keys on the bass end or splitting using some keys on both end of the playing keyboard to be assigned to activate H/W stops or pistons..

When you assign Hauptwerk manuals, it doesn't matter which C, for instance, you select to be low (manual) C. All Hauptwerk wants to know is which manual key is the lowest and which manual key is the highest. In fact you don't need to assign the all (normal) 61 keys to a H/W manual. You could actually have a H/W manual with only 45 or 56 or 32 keys per manual. There are many old pipe organs tat did not have 61 note manuals. There is variation as to how many pedals many old organs (and new ones, too) have on the pedal board.

Many "toaster" spinet organs had 12 note (short - no toe/heel) pedal boards. I've got some from parted out Hammond spinets, the one that also had the split keyboards. In that regard, I thought I had a problem with the limited keyboards/pedal board on one of those Hammond spinets installed in the first churches I worked as organist, until I went to a concert by Porter Heaps and saw what could be done with those few "resources"). Needless to say, he was busy.

Personally, I can't recall any music I normally play that uses the highest of the 61 notes. Much music is within a shorter compass. And beyond that, there are couplers.

Rgds,
Ed

Mathijs

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 am

Hi Ed,

that's a good suggestion. I tried it, but so far I run into the following problem: the stops are only pulled for as long as I press the key. That's obviously a useful feature when keys correspond to keys, but it has its downsides in the key-stop correspondence.

I was aware of the fact that historic organs tend to have shorter keyboard ranges (I used to play "real" organs). It's really annoying frankly; I tried to play Messiaen's "jeux dans les roue" on the Trost organ (a lovely baroque organ). Obviously the piece is far too difficult for me, but it actually sounded great on that organ with its detuned 16' fagott. Except that (even with the extended keyboard) I couldn't play the highest two notes! As for pieces reaching up to the high c (key 61 so to speak), actually the piece that I am playing now and that got the ball rolling on this post, the first of the seven poème chorales by Tournemire, goes all the way up there. I've also seen it in a piece by Guillou and I think it is in some Dupré pieces. It's a French predilection, apparently :).

About using limited resources; I do think I'm becoming spoiled by all the easy features that Hauptwerk offers. But it's a hobby, so I'm ok with being spoiled :).

NickNelson

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 7:44 am

Mathijs wrote:I tried it, but so far I run into the following problem: the stops are only pulled for as long as I press the key.

Assuming you are using the 'auto-detect' facility to do this, just tick the 'toggle state ...' box before closing the dialog and all will be well.

Nick

PS, you might also find (as I did when I just tried it) that you will have to auto-detect the rest of the keyboard again using only the lowesat and highest keys that are not now allocated to stops.

Mathijs

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks Nick, that's the solution!

engrssc

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 11:24 am

Hauptwerk's features go way beyond what most of need/use and opens the door to future exploration(s).

As you have or will find out, there is quite a cover between many Forum folks to cover blanks (or take it for granteds) for skipped over portions of answers. My post omitted the Toggle feature, but Nick nicely filled in (the blank). My excuse being it was late (for me as I was awake since 3 AM yesterday) when I looked at the Forum last evening and sleep was beckoning. :?

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 11:32 am

engrssc wrote:Hauptwerk's features go way beyond what most of need/use and opens the door to future exploration(s). Somewhere I have heard the expression - If you can dream it, we can do it. I do believe that is basically true with Hauptwerk.

As you have or will find out, there is quite a cover between many Forum folks to cover blanks (or take it for granted's) for skipped over portions of answers. My post omitted the Toggle feature, but Nick nicely filled in (the blank). My excuse being it was late (for me as I was awake since 3 AM yesterday) when I looked at the Forum last evening and sleep was beckoning. :?

Rgds,
Ed

Mathijs

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi Ed,

I was pretty mad at you for not mentioning the toggle thing, but now that I see you have an excuse, it's ok. :)

Seriously though, it is a wonderful forum; I've had three questions (in two years) so far and people have always tried hard to help me out (and we succeeded in the end).

I just played through my first version of the Tournemire piece where the main problem was that I'm a bad organist; it was very exciting. It's a little tricky as I'm basically playing very weird chords in between the music (e.g.: +reeds and mixtures II+III and reeds pedal is the low a, a sharp, d sharp, e and the high g in the pedal :) ). I'll probably buy the launchpad thing in the end, but in the meantime this will do nicely and it might even be good for my technique :).

Romanos

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 9:39 am

engrssc wrote:Yes, you can Auto Detect (playing) keyboard keys by first clicking (assuming you have a mouse) on which ever stop or piston you want, select Auto Detect then pressing a (playing) key to assign it to the chosen stop or piston. (And playing keys are relatively easy to label.) You can use either the "extra" keys (beyond the 61 normal organ manual keyboard compass) on the treble end or extra keys on the bass end or splitting using some keys on both end of the playing keyboard to be assigned to activate H/W stops or pistons..

When you assign Hauptwerk manuals, it doesn't matter which C, for instance, you select to be low (manual) C. All Hauptwerk wants to know is which manual key is the lowest and which manual key is the highest. In fact you don't need to assign the all (normal) 61 keys to a H/W manual. You could actually have a H/W manual with only 45 or 56 or 32 keys per manual. There are many old pipe organs tat did not have 61 note manuals. There is variation as to how many pedals many old organs (and new ones, too) have on the pedal board.

Many "toaster" spinet organs had 12 note (short - no toe/heel) pedal boards. I've got some from parted out Hammond spinets, the one that also had the split keyboards. In that regard, I thought I had a problem with the limited keyboards/pedal board on one of those Hammond spinets installed in the first churches I worked as organist, until I went to a concert by Porter Heaps and saw what could be done with those few "resources"). Needless to say, he was busy.

Personally, I can't recall any music I normally play that uses the highest of the 61 notes. Much music is within a shorter compass. And beyond that, there are couplers.

Rgds,
Ed

You know Ed, I had considered doing something similar to this... I really want to get my hands on a two manual stack to put into a small case with amplifier and built in speakers to have as a practice / continuo instrument (a la martin organs). I like practicing on my organ but sometimes when it comes to intense note learning I like to have my feet planted on the ground like being at a piano. I had considered trying to get my hands on two of the 72 note Fatar manuals through an organ dealer and then using the extra notes at the top for stop controls. Those manuals would have the added benefit of going down to low F for harpsichord samples. I think such a setup would work really well and you could avoid the need for buying stop tabs; you could really keep things simple.

engrssc

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Nothing wrong with simple. Too much complicated stuff "out there".

With planning (ahead), you can "pre-program" a manual/keyboard key to advance Hauptwerk's built-in sequencer which would have all the preset combinations available in order at the touch of a single (advance to the next preset) key (button). Takes some planning ahead. Quite useful when doing a concert type thing.

Rgds,
Ed

Mathijs

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 6:59 am

Hi all,

I just received the launchpad! (I ordered it after the holidays) It's a pretty great item, but I'm struggling with one thing now. If I check the toggle feature, the keys don't light up. Ideally I would have the keys lighted up to indicate that a stop (or set of stops) is pulled. Is that feasible with this launchpad?

Many thanks in advance!
Mathijs
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing