It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm

Using keyboard (of pc) to manipulate stops

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

magnaton

Re: Using keyboard (of pc) to manipulate stops

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 am

Mathijs wrote:Hi all,
Ideally I would have the keys lighted up to indicate that a stop (or set of stops) is pulled. Is that feasible with this launchpad?

The latest version of HW and one revision behind automatically recognizes the Launchpad models except the new Pro model. When you auto-detect a stop or piston, you should see the Launchpad as a choice which may be grayed out until you actually press the desired button. Thus you have a choice of light color and light style (dim/bright or on/off).

Also, make sure you have the Launchpad "checked" as a MIDI out device:
General Settings / Midi Ports / MIDI Out Ports

Danny B.

Mathijs

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 9:59 am

Hi,

thanks Danny, but it doesn't quite work for me. Let me explain in detail what happens if I try what you suggest. If I autodetect a stop (either by right clicking on it and pressing autodetect, or by going to organ setting->stops/couplers etc. and then autodetect), I get a pop-up telling me to press the button I want to use. When I do, two previously greyed out options become available: toggle and send matching MIDI-output. I check both options. There are no options for lights at that point. I played around a bit in the stop/coupler etc. folder. I managed to get one button permanently lit. I have no idea how that happened; it is currently also operating two stops. It is lit no matter the state of the stops.

Mathijs

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 10:15 am

In fact, something even weirder happened. I realized how I managed to light up some buttons. I go into the Organ setting -> Stop/Coupler etc. I click on some stop in the list and I go to the tab primary output. By default for output, it says <no output> (even though I went through the steps described above). I change this to Auto MIDI output (match to primary input settings). I set MIDI OUT port: Launchpad mini. When I press test send On, the light of the button I previously aligned to this stop goes on. When I press test send Off, nothing happens (the light remains on). When I set the output back to no output, the light remains on.When I then turn off hauptwerk, the light remains on! It's pretty mystifying to me. :lol:

magnaton

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 11:57 am

Here is a quote from the HW 4.2.1 release notes:
Full native support has been added for Novation Launchpads (using their default MIDI implementation), including auto-detection, automatic MIDI output, LED color selection, and support for multiple Launchpad units. Novation Launchpads can provide a very convenient and cost-effective means for controlling virtual stops and pistons. Make sure you have your Launchpad’s entries selected for both Console MIDI IN and Console MIDI OUT on the ‘General settings | MIDI ports’ screen then use right-click auto-detection to configure stops or pistons for Launchpad buttons.

Make sure you have the latest release of HW (4.2.1). How new is your Launchpad Mini? Novation changed the API with the new Launchpad Pro which probably trickled down to the Mini as well. The older mini is gray with "Ableton" on the corner whereas the newest version is black with just a logo in the top corner. If you have the newest version, that may be your issue. You can read more details here:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14814&p=110504

I think there are a few Forum members here using the Pro with HW in an abbreviated state.

Danny B.

engrssc

Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing