It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

TouchOSC

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

atugores

TouchOSC

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 2:53 am

I'm sure there is somebody that understand and uses ToucOSC with iPad an HW so please I ask for help, I think I have TouchOsc connected with the Mac but when I start HW and try TouchOsc to learn the stops it just does nothing, so please tell me which steps are necessary to make this think working, unfortunately the web page of TouchOsc is very poor in info, do I need to set a session in the Mac midi section, steps to connect will be very welcome, thanks for the help.

Julianbr

Re: TouchOSC

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 am

Hi, I've just joined the forum and read your post.
I use HW4 with TouchOSC on iPad, connected over wifi and find it excellent -just wondered whether you had received an answer or were still trying?

larason2

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 9:34 am

I use TouchOSC, and I am quite fond of it (even though it is occaisionally buggy). I open the app "Audio Midi Setup" on the mac, and if it isn't displayed, select "show the midi studio" on the Window menu. I then double click on the "network" box. The first time you set up the app, you need to create a new session, and add your ipad or tablet. Then, you can click "connect," which connects the computer to your tablet. TouchOSC should work on the tablet without needing any extra software (you are using the mac's built in midi drivers). Hopefully this helps!

Julianbr

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 10:19 am

Yes, I wish the iPad would stay connected between sessions or at least would auto connect as it were, still I think it is an excellent way to select stops and combination pistons and layouts are really easy to produce.

hotfingers

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 am

I'm hoping to pick up on this thread as I'm trying to persuade TouchOSC to communicate with Hauptwerk 4 from my iPad. I have tried both Core Midi and Bridge with both MacbookAir and MacbookPro. Same result – TouchOSC on the iPad shows the Network connection and the Macbook audiomidi setup also shows the iPad. Hauptwerk also shows the network connection. However, any attempt to send a signal from a button for auto-detect on a stop or piston results in nothing.
I've spent many years working with audio and midi and think that I must be missing something very obvious. So far as I am aware, the buttons are set to correctly send a midi signal. Perhaps not ...
Does this ring any bells with anyone? I'd be very grateful for any thoughts.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello Hotfingers,

I have no experience with TouchOSC myself, but in case it helps, you could turn on the MIDI logging option on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab in Hauptwerk, then use 'Help | View activity log' after sending some MIDI messages from TouchOSC to Hauptwerk, so as to see whether the MIDI messages you intended had been sent/received.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Julianbr

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 am

Hi
I might be misunderstanding your problem, but I use TouchOSC (using CoreMidi) with Hauptwerk4 most days without a problem and this is how I do it;
I have an iPad 2 and a MacBookPro
Make sure both are on same WiFi (an issue for me as my music studio does not have WiFi)
Run TouchOSC on IPad and enable CoreMidi
Run Audio MIDI setup on Mac
Open midi studio window if not visible
Double-click Network
Click on your iPAD in left Directory window
Click Connect and your iPad should appear listed in Participants window on the right (on my iPad this also lists Network Session 1 as it’s live routings)
On your IPad Touch OSC should now show CoreMidi connected (In (1/1) Out (1/1)
Then launch Hauptwerk4 and network Session 1 should appear in your midi in and Midi out ports listings.
It works so well I have now produced Touch OSC screens for about 20, mostly freely available, Hauptwerk organs. I would be very happy to share a screen with you to help eliminate your screens.

hotfingers

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Thank you for the thought, Martin. I'd not been aware of that option. I'll investigate further and report back in case it helps others in the future.
If I can crack this I think it will make for slightly more flexibility in performance on-stage. R
Roderick Elms

hotfingers

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 am

Hi Julianbr – thank you for all this information. To be honest, although I'm using USB to connect, it all appears to be working as you indicate. I get the network Session 1 showing in Hauptwerk but nothing responds to the buttons I create. Maybe I'm missing something obvious in the way I create them although there doesn't seem to be much scope for error.

I have tried using a template from elsewhere of the Moseley organ on the assumption this this will be known to generate appropriate midi signals and be detected by the auto-detect options for the stops - nothing!
I'm very reassured to know of your own success and wonder whether a known working screen would be a good idea. I can also check the midi activity as Martin suggests. Thank you for your kind offer. Can this be done via the forum or do you need an email address?
Roderick Elms

Julianbr

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 am

It may be possible to attach via the forum but I’d prefer to send it to,your email if possible, would you like the Moseley screen?
J

Julianbr

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 am

Hi, I also downloaded and used the excellent Midi Monitor app (https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ ) as I was having a few issues using an old synth as an extra keyboard, and this just clarified for me what port and midi channel was being used, it might help you.
J

hotfingers

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:50 pm

A brief update in case it helps others -

After further investigation, I can get TouchOSC working on the MacbookAir via CoreMIDI (created a local network to avoid using the LAN). Strangely it currently refuses to work on the MacbookPro with (apparently) the same settings, so that needs further investigation. A shame as that's the preferred machine with much more RAM.

Any attempt to use Touch Bridge to enable communication via USB fails on any machine. I see this issue noted elsewhere – Bridge appears not to work using later versions of OSX. A shame as I would far rather have a wired connection for live performance.
Roderick Elms

Julianbr

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 5:46 am

Hi
Having been away from the world of Hauptwerk I have been using TouchOSC to control other music software on my Macbookpro using TouchOSC Bridge and wired USB connection which I found to be amazing, zero latency, 100% reliable, very robust (eb=ven when laptop has had a sleep) robust and not reliant at all on WiFi.
Sadly I can't do the same in Hauptwerk.
It seems HW4 will not recognise TouchOSC Bridge, though i have to say it worked brilliantly elsewhere. I hope this changes in future updates.
Julian

hotfingers

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 11:49 am

Hi Julian,

Thank you for the update and confirmation of what I seem to be experiencing. I hope Hauptwerk will cooperate with TouchOSC via USB at some point in the future. Meanwhile, I'm putting a Launchpad into operation which is generally effective.

All best,

R
Roderick Elms

Julianbr

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 11:57 am

I don’t blame you, I’m saving up for a touch screen, but they are expensive!
Julian
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing