It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:56 pm

Alesis V61 Problem

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

rtucker9

Alesis V61 Problem

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 4:43 am

I have been enjoying my Hauptwerk Advanced edition for about two months now, but kept having a problem that I originally found when playing a harmonic progression. Basically I'm playing a four note chord, with my LH playing two and my RH playing two. Then the next chord I play a four note chord, but only one note is the same from the last chord. It was holding over a note from the last chord and it was making me so mad.

I thought I had a glitch. Looking at the troubleshooting advice for audio glitches, I realized I should probably have ASIO drivers installed (only had the built-in Directsound) and so I went to my work yesterday and plugged into their wifi to download ASIO4ALL. Then USBd the executable file to my new Hauptwerk computer.

It was much to my agrivation that I still had the problem, when I played this two chord progression, even after switching the driver to ASIO. I then tried to isolate my controls in the experiment. Was it that using the pedalboard was causing the issue? I tried the bass coupler and just played on my V61. Had the problem. Tried it again on my MAUDIO KEYSTATION 88. No problem. So it was the V61. Glad to have the ASIO because Hauptwerk recommends it, even though I think there isn't much difference to me between it and Directsound. But boy there is a difference between hearing a glitch when you play and not! So to sum it all up, I would recommend testing the V61 before you buy it. Don't know if mine is a defective unit or if all of the V61s are not Hauptwerk friendly. I imagine this is not a huge issue for most Hauptwerkians, because the V61 is such a DJ MIDI keyboard and not something that is made for being built into a nice looking wood console. Nevertheless, hope this helps.

mdyde

Re: Alesis V61 Problem

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 5:55 am

Hello rtucker9,

Thanks for the information. I suspect your Alesis V61was either faulty, or perhaps it had some USB or driver compatibility issue with your PC, or perhaps there was insufficient power on the PC's USB bus available for it. Some USB 2.0 devices don't work reliably in some USB 3.0 ports, for example (although in theory they should).

Hauptwerk itself doesn't handle MIDI note-on/off events from one keyboard any differently from those from another (except for using the MIDI channel and MIDI port to identify whether the note-on/off messages are for the intended virtual keyboard, based on your MIDI settings).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rtucker9

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 6:43 am

That is an excellent suggestion, because believe it or not they were both in blue usb ports (I think that's the color code for 3.0) so I tried the V61 in the back, which I think is the regular one and it still had the problem, so I think it may be defective. Might be a driver issue, but I think it was giving me green checkmarks when I plugged it in, so I am thinking it's the former and not the latter.

mdyde

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 6:47 am

You could try watching the MIDI messages it sends to the PC with MIDI-OX ( http://www.midiox.com/ , when Hauptwerk isn't running, otherwise the two applications might 'fight over' access to the MIDI device).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing