It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

Need New Audio Interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

GlennG

Need New Audio Interface

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Hello to All,

My old USB Audio Interface has died. It had 8 TRS and 1 SP/DIF Outputs. I do not need any other features.
Please recommend Interfaces that you deem to be a good candidate for replacement.
Thanks.
Glenn

magnaton

Re: Need New Audio Interface

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 4:45 pm

It might help if we knew the configuration you are using now or might want to upgrade to. For example, if you are were only using 2 channels (stereo) then we'd might recommend product X. If the goal is 10 channels some day in the future, then product Y. Also if you have a price range in mind can determine the brand or unit model.

Page 14 of HW User's manual (v.4.2.1) provides a list of approved and popular audio interface brands.

Danny B.

GlennG

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 5:24 pm

Danny,

I'm currently using all 8 audio outputs (4 Stereo Pairs) and 1 SP/DIF), converted to analog, for sub woofer. I do not plan to update in the near future. The price range is a unit with good Hauptwerk reviews at a modest price.
I believe that H/W primarily recommends Manufacturers not individual models.

Glenn

murph

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Glenn,
the Motu Ultralite Mkiii hybrid will do what you want. New it lists at €700 ish, but as the Mkiv has just come out, new they should come in at around €500 pretty soon. You're in Newry/Bangor direction?
There are some on adverts for €300, currently.
If you want to hear one, pm. I'm in D2.

Tony

1961TC4ME

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 pm

How about the Behringer FCA610? I'm contemplating one now. Seems to be a popular unit amongst HW users along with receiving good reviews concerning audio quality, and last I checked was pretty reasonably priced.

Marc

magnaton

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 11:28 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:How about the Behringer FCA610? I'm contemplating one now.

Hi Marc:

Wow, the FCA610 is competitively priced. I read the quick start guide and it seems that 1 headphone jack just duplicates (monitors) whats going out of channels 1 & 2. The 2nd headphone jack can do the same or combine channels 3 & 4. So I'm thinking for our HW configuration, you'd have to use channels 1 & 2 as a mixdown of all the other channels for proper headphone use leaving only 8 channels (out of the available 10) for multi-channel routing. If you don't need headphones, like I do for late night practicing, I guess you're good to go.

I have a MOTU MK3 Ultralite and its headphone output is independent. Thus the ASIO driver in HW lists a total of 14 channels: 10 analog, 2 digital (S/PDIF), 2 (L&R) stereo headphone jack. The only negative on this model is it's 'soft' on/off switch. I designed a 3 step process (i.e. 3 switches) to power up my HW rig (computer & lights, amps, active monitors) and with this soft switch on the MOTU, it actually became an independent 2nd step in what is now a 4 step process! Yes, I know It can self power up by the computer if I connected it by Firewire instead of USB. But that would be a convenience charge I don't want to pay for as USB works perfectly. :wink:

Danny B.

GlennG

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 7:16 am

Hi All,

My old unit was an FCA610. At first thought of it as a bargain. The unit only lasted 2+ years. In researching the cause, I discovered many users had the same experience. When working, it was all that I required. In view of its many poor reviews, I prefer to replace it with a different model.

Glenn

jkinkennon

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 11:44 am

I'm with Glenn on the Behringer interface. Mine was the almost identical FCA1616. If failed in less than 6 months. I wasn't even tempted to try to get it replaced. I love their studio monitors as I mentioned on another thread, but the interfaces seem to have been a headache for several of us.

johnh

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 11:54 am

Perhaps a Focusrite Saffire 18i20 for around $400... It's got a lot of 'i' that you don't need but plenty of 'o'...

magnaton

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 12:16 pm

jkinkennon wrote: I love their studio monitors as I mentioned on another thread, but the interfaces seem to have been a headache for several of us.

Agreed! Behringer seems to have home runs and strike outs in different categories. Their ADAT, model ADA8200 has gotten good reviews, as well as their small portable mixing boards, the UMX610 controller is a favorite here, and of course their studio monitors are excellent! BTW, they have discontinued the passive studio monitors (2031P) as well as the high end ribbon tweeter model (3031A). Not sure why as I am familiar with both and they sound great. Must have been a marketing decision.

Danny B.

eajohnson

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 11:54 am

Just to chime in, I have used the FCA610 for almost 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly. We will see how the next three years go but so far I love the thing. The only drawback for me is the "thump" that occurs when you power up but that is something that is easy enough to work around. Besides, you can buy 2 or 3 610s for the price of one of the other makes!
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing