It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:11 pm

Lossless Wi-Fi Audio

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Lossless Wi-Fi Audio

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 10:08 pm

was introduced to me today at a friend's house. Initial impression was WOW. Doing some Googleing back home, one article states "Importantly, audio signals can be conveyed via WiFi (streaming) using a lossless codec; with this method, there is absolutely no loss of audio fidelity as the data signal travels across the WiFi network. The digital bits at the receiver are identical to the bits at the source." But as well "One downside is that different wireless systems, while they may all use Wi-Fi, use incompatible data formatting. So, the systems are incompatible; for example, Apple and Android run into this problem"

http://wrensound.com/should-my-wireless-audio-system-use-bluetooth-or-wifi/

So while the possibility for great sound exists (as in my friend's home theatre setup) there also exists (the age old manufacturer created) compatibility issues. Growing up. there was the (33 1/3 rpm vs 45 rpm records. (Remember those disc like things that needed a special player). Then there was something called VHS vs Hi-8 and the list goes on.

So Google away. Here, for instance, is a page of wannabe products for you (to buy)

https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/03/8-ways-to-bring-your-home-audio-into-the-21st-century.html

Bottom line, I was impressed to the point of looking further into this subject. Another wanna sell stuff article starts on page 4 - The Age of Wi-Fi Audio

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/SSV216b.pdf

As usual, one thought begets another. After an arduous task of pulling cables thru the walls and ceilings of the church, it looks as if I could have "broadcast all those audio signals from the organ's computer (which has Wi-Fi, thru to a centrally located router (which wouldn't be connected to the Internet) but used to "relay/distribute" the multi channel audio wirelessly and without loss or latency if I read these articles correctly. Possibly 100 feet or so in a computer to computer system? And, yes. the need for power in places would be a consideration.

Thoughts?

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

Re: Lossless Wi-Fi Audio

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Hopefully some company produces a Lossless system soon,
that can be used with Hauptwerk as well as with Surround Sound , Home Theater Systems !
I have been disappointed with what I have heard in the past ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

johnh

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 am

One question: latency? Not an issue when just listening, possibly an issue when performing...

---john.

Romanos

PostWed May 24, 2017 11:02 am

johnh wrote:One question: latency? Not an issue when just listening, possibly an issue when performing...

---john.

My question exactly... I also shared Ed's idea to have a second Hauptwerk-dedicated router that wouldn't be competing with the family's internet.

Romanos

PostWed May 24, 2017 11:14 am

engrssc

PostWed May 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Romanos wrote:Looks like you could use something like this on a per-channel basis.

For a sub possibly and with a sub, latency isn't as much of an issue. Doubt it would work for a surround setup.

Rgds,
Ed

toplayer2

PostThu May 25, 2017 8:00 am

I have tried several wireless systems, but the best seems to be the W3 from Audioengine. This is a stereo transmitter and receiver with 95dB S/N, ruler flat frequency response, and 20 ms latency. The sound is very transparent. The cost is $149.

http://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapters ... o-adapter/

Joe Hardy

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing