It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

M-Audio FW410 problem again!

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

jrball

M-Audio FW410 problem again!

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 pm

My HW system runs perfectly most of the time. When it doesn't it is usually something with Win10 audio stack or the FW410.

Can anyone shed some light on the latest problem? Maybe Windows was upgraded over the weekend while I was away? HW with audio was working well last week.

Good: Adobe Audtion 3.0 runs and plays music on any selected FW410 output.
Bad: Audacity starts but without audio. Error "Internal Port Audio Error."
Bad: HW starts but shows load error: "DirectSound Device 'DirectSound 7/8 (M-Audio FW 410) could not be opened..."
Config: Default set to FW410 in Win playback device panel.
Tried: Reboot and reload FW410 driver twice.
Peculiar: Win Playback Devices panel always plays test sounds on local 'Speakers' even when other devices are set as default.

Differing results depending on who uses the audio stack. Anyone know more about the audio stack and its controls in WIn10?

mdyde

Re: M-Audio FW410 problem again!

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 5:02 am

[I've moved the topic here since it's a technical support issue with Hauptwerk per-se.]

I don't know, I'm afraid, but my M-Audio FireWire Audiophile with M-Audio's latest/final driver for it (FireWire Installer 6.0.1 Driver 5.10.0.5058, officially intended for 64-bit Window 7 SP1) still works properly in Hauptwerk (with the M-Audio ASIO driver selected) on Windows 10 today, with all of the latest Windows 10 updates.

My FireWire Audiophile uses the same driver that a FireWire 410 uses (or both are installed by the same driver installer, at least), and both models are discontinued and only officially supported by M-Audio up to Windows 7 SP1, but mine still works anyway.

Perhaps try checking for any further Windows updates that might be available since the ones you last applied, and also try (re-)installing that latest/final 6.0.1 driver ( http://www.m-audio.com/support/drivers-search ) then rebooting the PC.

jrball wrote:Bad: HW starts but shows load error: "DirectSound Device 'DirectSound 7/8 (M-Audio FW 410) could not be opened..."

I'd highly recommend using M-Audio's ASIO driver in Hauptwerk, rather than DirectSound. (ASIO should give much better performance and lower latencies.) Also make sure that no other software is running at the same time as Hauptwerk that might try to play audio through the same audio interface. Since you also have the M-Audio selected as Windows' default playback device, you would probably need to make sure that all Windows sounds are disabled, to try to prevent Windows playing sounds through it whilst Hauptwerk is using it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RichardW

Re: M-Audio FW410 problem again!

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:03 am

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the same problem but it could be.

I have my non-Hauptwerk PC connected to the RME interface on my HW PC via an optical link. This last week it has powered up with a red cross next to the speaker on the TaskBar nearly every time. I had to ask Windows (10) to look for problems after which it would say it was fixed but I needed to reboot. Upon re-starting everything would be OK.

It has behaved like this before and I traced the issue to the Windows Fast Start facility. If you opt for an, ordinary, slow start it works every time. I checked in the Control Panel and this setting had been changed back without my knowledge.

As you might expect, the setting is totally non-obvious and somewhere you would never look. :)

From the Windows Icon select: Settings
Then select: System (note, it mentions Power)
Select: Power and Sleep
Select: Additional Power Settings
Select: Choose what the power buttons do
Select: Change settings that are currently unavailable
Under Shutdown Settings, make sure that the recommended option to "Turn on fast start up" is not selected.

Then see if you can find your way back out. Typing in Power Options into the "Ask me anything" box will get you part way there more quickly.

I hope this helps,
Richard

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing