It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

Help. Midi not connecting.

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

fermata

Help. Midi not connecting.

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I have a Casio digital piano connected to my MacAir via a "Midi USB" cable, a very cheap device that is not much more than the cable itself, with a plastic bump in it that lights up when it is turned on (by plugging it in) and also when midi signals are sent. I know this cable works because I can record from my Casio into Garageband on my computer, however, I cannot get my Casio keyboard to play St. Anne's organ. Help, please. :cry:

IainStinson

Re: Help. Midi not connecting.

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 4:11 pm

When you start HW and load the St Anne sample set are you able to play it /produce sounds by using the mouse on you MAC to draw stops on each manual and touch the keys on the console display?

When you started HW did you select the midi device for the keyboard as a midi IN device? If you did when you load St Anne's sample set you should see a small indicator at the bottom of the screen flash each time you press a key on the keyboard.

Have you used auto detect to associate the keyboard with one of the St Anne manuals? Right click on the bottom keyboard, follow the on-screen instructions (to press the bottom and top key of the keyboard then to click the DONE button using your mouse). Use the mouse to pull out one of the great division stops and then press a key on your keyboard and sound should be heard.

This is all covered in the User Guide - look at the quick start section (section III page 33). You might also find it useful to read "A brief tour of a pipe organ" on page 43 of the user manual.

Iain

mdyde

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:22 am

Hello fermata,

To add to Iain's reply (thanks very much Iain), please also make sure that you have your MIDI device ticked specifically in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen, *not* the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI IN') column.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

fermata

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Thank you both, Iain and Martin, for helping!

Martin, I followed all the defaults through the Wizard. I didn't use the Sequencer Midi In. I never plan to use the sequencer. I'm having enough trouble without it.

IainStinson wrote:When you start HW and load the St Anne sample set are you able to play it /produce sounds by using the mouse on you MAC to draw stops on each manual and touch the keys on the console display?

Yes, and the sound comes out of my Casio speakers.

IainStinson wrote:When you started HW did you select the midi device for the keyboard as a midi IN device? If you did when you load St Anne's sample set you should see a small indicator at the bottom of the screen flash each time you press a key on the keyboard.

Yes, the little green light flashes when I play my Casio keyboard, but no sound comes out.

IainStinson wrote:Have you used auto detect to associate the keyboard with one of the St Anne manuals? Right click on the bottom keyboard, follow the on-screen instructions (to press the bottom and top key of the keyboard then to click the DONE button using your mouse). Use the mouse to pull out one of the great division stops and then press a key on your keyboard and sound should be heard.

I moved ahead of where I got stuck in the User Guide and found on page 40 what you are talking about. After learning online how to right click on a Mac, I set both the Great and the Swell, and they both play -- success! Unfortunately, the virtual keys often stick -- you can see them sticking on the screen, too. I can unstick them by hitting the Casio keys again, but something is clearly not right. Got a clue as to what?

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:55 pm

fermata wrote:I have a Casio digital piano connected to my MacAir via a "Midi USB" cable, a very cheap device t Help, please. :cry:

Try with another MIdi USB cable, even cheaper. I have had to trial with several of them.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 4:36 am

fermata wrote:I moved ahead of where I got stuck in the User Guide and found on page 40 what you are talking about. After learning online how to right click on a Mac, I set both the Great and the Swell, and they both play -- success! Unfortunately, the virtual keys often stick -- you can see them sticking on the screen, too. I can unstick them by hitting the Casio keys again, but something is clearly not right. Got a clue as to what?

Hello fermata,

I agree that the low-cost USB-MIDI you're currently using is the most likely source of that problem, although personally I'd recommend always using good-quality branded ones for reliability. E.g. some good-quality MIDI interfaces that might be candidates:

http://motu.com/products/midi/lite
http://motu.com/products/midi/128
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/midisport-4x4-anniversary-edition
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition
http://www.emu.com/index.php/product-emu-xmidi-2x2
https://www.roland.com/global/products/um-one_mk2/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NickNelson

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 5:14 am

I looked these devices a while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11410&p=84019#p83981

My findings on the handling of system real-time messages might be relevant, particularly if the Casio ever sends this type of message (I have no idea whether it does or not).

You could try examining the incoming MIDI stream. I don't use a Mac myself but I seem to think that the free 'Snoise' MIDI monitor has been recommended by other Mac users.

Nick

fermata

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Thank you, Martin, for your suggestions. I had already decided on the 5x5 microlite you recommended to me a while ago, but just haven't gotten it yet (don't have my manual stack and pedalboard yet), so I was using my notation program midi cable.

I would never have guessed the midi cable was the problem, so thanks for your email, Profe Garcia.

Nick, I visited your link but my eyes glazed over when they encountered the system exclusive messages. I'm satisfied with the Profe's diagnosis and Martin's solution, and will get a decent midi interface and cables.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing