It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 am

How to use aux mix in Motu AVB 24Ao?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mnailor

How to use aux mix in Motu AVB 24Ao?

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 11:01 am

I'm retiring the RME UFX with Motu 24Ao as an ADAT-to-analog converter, simplifying it to just use the Motu as the computer's audio interface.

I'm having a (probably self-inflicted) problem getting the following mixer setup to work in the AVB control program and wondered if anybody is familiar with this process.

I want to duplicate two of the stereo inputs from the computer (from computer 1/2 and 17/18) to an aux mix (aux mix 1/2) and send the mix to analog output 9/10 where my subwoofer is attached.

On the routing grid, inputs from computer 1/2 and 17/18 are routed to their own outputs and also to mixer inputs 1/2 and 3/4. Aux mix 1/2 is routed to output 9/10.

On the aux mix tab, mixer inputs 1/2 and 3/4 are added to aux mix 1/2 and the gains on all of these are raised to 0. The mute button is off on aux mix 1/2, but the mute buttons on the mixer inputs are dimmed and won't turn off -- that could be the problem but I can't find an explanation in the manual.

I didn't do any settings in the mixing tab, which does reflect the aux mix tab's settings.

The result is that the routing tab shows a signal on the from computer inputs and on the mixer inputs, but not on aux mix 1/2 or the corresponding aux mix outputs. The subwoofer doesn't sound. (It sounds when routed directly.)

What am I missing?
Thanks!

organtechnology

Re: How to use aux mix in Motu AVB 24Ao?

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi Mark,

It seems to me that in using the 24Ao as a 24 channel USB D/A converter that you should do the routing in the Hauptwerk audio interface instead of the 24Ao. Then just use the 24Ao to convert each Digital stream to Analog. The stream content will already have been set in Hauptwerk or the DAW.

However if you are using the AVB digital audio capabilities of the 24Ao (audio over cat 5e) then there should be a control program which shows a routing matrix of transmitters to receivers which should allow you to use the Hauptwerk channels as transmitters connected to the appropriate receivers in the 24Ao without using the AVB mixer.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mnailor

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 9:48 am

My example of using one aux mix for the subwoofer was a simplified example to illustrate the problem I'm having, not the final goal. If I can get the mixer in the Motu working at all, I can handle the more complex stuff from there.

My real goal is layering multiple groups onto the same speaker channels for different samplesets, which Hauptwerk isn't able to do since it doesn't allow two groups (groups + aux mixes) to send to the same channel.

So Hauptwerk's mixer doesn't meet my requirements even though it does handle the simple case I gave here. I could use alt configs but that's less flexible than a real mixer in the audio interface, where a few clicks or instantly change the routing to a different custom preset.

I did this mixing in the RME up until now, and the Motu is supposed to be able to do the same.

Yes, I'm using the mixer software in the 24Ao's control program -- that's what I'm asking for help on because it doesn't *seem* to work as documented in the manual. But the manual doesn't give much detail and I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step.

Thanks.

organtechnology

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 11:34 am

mnailor wrote:My example of using one aux mix for the subwoofer was a simplified example to illustrate the problem I'm having, not the final goal. If I can get the mixer in the Motu working at all, I can handle the more complex stuff from there.

My real goal is layering multiple groups onto the same speaker channels for different samplesets, which Hauptwerk isn't able to do since it doesn't allow two groups (groups + aux mixes) to send to the same channel.

So Hauptwerk's mixer doesn't meet my requirements even though it does handle the simple case I gave here. I could use alt configs but that's less flexible than a real mixer in the audio interface, where a few clicks or instantly change the routing to a different custom preset.

I did this mixing in the RME up until now, and the Motu is supposed to be able to do the same.

Yes, I'm using the mixer software in the 24Ao's control program -- that's what I'm asking for help on because it doesn't *seem* to work as documented in the manual. But the manual doesn't give much detail and I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step.

Thanks.

From that viewpoint, I think the key must be the routing to the Aux busses. Looks like they route to multiple Aux Busses in pairs in order to provide a stereo mix to various monitors. To do that it seems they would allow routing the same inputs to multiple Aux Busses and they should all work simultaneously.

Are you using the AVB technology to connect the Mixing console computer to the 24Ao?

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Tweedle_Dee

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 11:54 am

I have the MOTU 24Ao, but have not tried using the mixer other than basic EQ functions. It is something I'm interested in trying for the same reasons you mentioned. I don't have the time right now to try it but perhaps in a week or two.

I'm still trying to iron out a few issues I'm having with mine that I'll start a separate thread on.

mnailor

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Thomas, I'm using USB rather than AVB. That doesn't intersect the mixer configuration other than the names of the inputs. Motu uses the name AVB for the product line and the config software.

mnailor

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Tweedle_Dee et al.

I just found out what I was doing wrong in Motu's web configuration interface for AVB products.

My setups on the routing page and the aux mixing page turned out to be correct.

What I missed was on the main mixing page, where I had to check the boxes for the mixer inputs, then unmute and raise the fader on each before the mixer inputs actually would go into the aux bus. By default, the mixer input channel strips weren't displayed, so I didn't notice there was something to do to them that wasn't duplicated where they appear on the aux mixing page.

Now it works just like the RME mixer did. I'm showing my age: icons and tiny little cartoons on the screen are no replacement for complete sentences when I'm trying to learn something... :)

Thanks for your discussion!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing