It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

A few minor issues with the MOTU 24ao

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

murph

Re: A few minor issues with the MOTU 24ao

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Lately, my Ultralite has been on the firewire bus on the computer and has no problems being powered up after the computer (it's a necessity, otherwise it has no power....)
Once it has loaded everything (routing/cuemix) before HW starts, there's no problems.

NickNelson

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 3:05 am

murph wrote:Lately, my Ultralite has been on the firewire bus on the computer and has no problems being powered up after the computer (it's a necessity, otherwise it has no power....).

That's interesting. My understanding was that, in general, Firewire devices can draw enough current from the Firewire interface itself and don't need external power as well.

Nick

mdyde

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 3:48 am

NickNelson wrote:That's interesting. My understanding was that, in general, Firewire devices can draw enough current from the Firewire interface itself and don't need external power as well.

Those FireWire interfaces that I've had (including my current RME UFX) with DSP facilities and/or lots of channels have had dedicated power supplies (built in, with mains IEC connector). DSP chips presumably need more power than a FireWire bus can provide.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NickNelson

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks for the clarification, I guess my (mis)understanding was based on rather more limited experience.

Nick

murph

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 7:27 am

One Ultralite can get enough power from the Firewire bus for its-self. (This does not apply to all laptops, but the bigger macbooks and all desktops will be fine). Daisy-chaining on firewire, or on USB, the psu is needed.
They were designed this way to enable location recording on (big) laptop batteries.
It can be quite useful.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing