It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

keyboard/pedalboard midi scanner modules

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

helge

keyboard/pedalboard midi scanner modules

PostSun Apr 18, 2004 7:02 am

Hello Hauptwerk users,

I have developed a keyboard/pedalboard midi scanner module which I will soon be able to offer at a very interesting price.
It uses a 8x8 scanner matrix and thus needs only 16 wires. A power regulator and supply voltage for optical interrupters are also included.

this is a picture of the beta prototype :

Johnc

Channel assignments

PostSun Jun 06, 2004 9:07 pm

Martin,
I am new to this forum and find it most interesting.
Somtime back I inquired about channel assignments for pedal, great and swell for HW. My hard drive crashed along with pase emails. Would you please repeat here.
Will HW2 have the same assignments.
Thanks
Johnc

mdyde

PostMon Jun 07, 2004 3:51 am

Hello John,

Sorry - I can't remember exactly what you originally asked, so I hope this is roughly the information you need.

First for the current version:

- You can assign any organ manual/pedalboard to any MIDI device and channel.
- All draw-knobs (stops/couplers) must send MIDI note on/off messages, and all must send on the same MIDI device and channel, with different note numbers to distinguish them apart. The device and channel can be adjusted in Hauptwerk. The note numbers can be changed by editing the .organ files if necessary.
- All divisional combination pistons must send MIDI program change messages, and the device and channel must match that of the manual/pedlaboard for the division. The program change numbers can be changed by editing the .organ files in a text editor if necessary.
- General combination pistons are 'listened for' on all active MIDI devices and channels (e.g. all that are configured for any other purpose, such as those for the manuals), and must also send program change messages. The program change numbers must be globally unique to the organ, and can also be changed by editing the .organ files.

Version 2:

Any MIDI configuration that works with version 1 will work with version 2. In general, all restrictions are lifted, and any switch (draw-knob, key, piston, ...) can be made to respond to any type of MIDI message and on any device and channel. There is no longer a need to edit the organ definition files to make such assignments.

Martin.

Johnc

PostMon Jun 07, 2004 5:13 pm

Martin,
Thanks for the reply however, I'm confused. You said" You can assign any organ manual/pedalboard to any MIDI device and channel. " I'm a novice so the term "any midi device" is not understood. Do you mean one interface module? I am a big fan of Thorston Klose and am using the midibox Core modules. The configuration I planned to use has a midibox 128 interface for the Great and Swell; 61 notes for each with 7 extras. The pedalboard will use a midibox 64 ; 32 notes for the pedal and the other 32 for stops on the great, swell and pedals. channel assignments will be channel 0 for notes on the great; channel 1 for notes on the Swell; channel 3 for pedal notes; channel 4 for stops, pistons, etc.
Therefore, interface module 1 will have inputs on channel 0 and channel 1
and interface 2 will have inputs to the pc on channel 2 and 3.
WILL tHIS WORK?
I want to start things off a simply as possible. As I learn more about hauptwerk then I can add more features.
If anybody else has comments, please feel free to but in your "two bits"
Martin, its great to be able to dialog with you and the forum. If it wern't for this forum and others, I would never be attempting to put together an organ!! thanks Loads!
Johnc

mdyde

PostTue Jun 08, 2004 4:04 am

Yes - that sounds like it should work properly. By 'MIDI device' I mean something that appears in the 'MIDI input device' drop-down lists in Hauptwerk's settings screens, i.e. something that Windows sees as a MIDI port.

Martin.

BachsFugue

PostTue Jun 08, 2004 2:16 pm

Johnc wrote:I am a big fan of Thorston Klose and am using the midibox Core modules.

OK, John, I'm interested. Who is Thorston Klose, and where do I find info about his "midibox Core modules"?
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

Johnc

PostTue Jun 08, 2004 7:26 pm

Cole,
Try http://www.forum.midibox.org/and check out the midification thread. You can also try http//www.midibox.com.
Regards,
John W. Couvillon

BachsFugue

PostWed Jun 09, 2004 2:54 am

Johnc wrote:Try http://www.forum.midibox.org/and check out the midification thread. You can also try http//www.midibox.com.

John,
I figured the first link to be without the "and", but the second link goes to the Microsoft web site on both of my browsers. Is it correct?
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

schultzpo

PostWed Jun 09, 2004 4:36 am

I have used one of Thorten Klose's design a couple of years and it works like a charm. The name of the project is MIDIO128 (the address is http://www.ucapps.de/ and the discussion takes place at www.midibox.org). It's a true DIY project but it was surprisingly easy to put together and very easy to configure. There are companies which can supply circuit boards. Right now I'm building more kits to completely midify my Rodgers Trio while I wait for HW2 and the Virginia Wurlitzer. I have tested Hauptwerk with it without any difficulty.
Per S

Johnc

PostWed Jun 09, 2004 8:18 pm

Per S or should I address you as Shultzpo? Run into you all over!
Thanks for the help on the webb address for Thorston. That was a nice plug for midibox.
Question for you. When you hook up a core to the pc to load mios and aps do you connect the midi-out and midi-in from the pc interface to the core, of just midi-out on the pc to midi in on the core? The interface I have has a connector to interface with the joystick port on the soundcard, and the other end has typical midi connectors for midi-out and midi-in. It seems to me that if midiox displays responses from the core, that 2-way communications must be going on.
Johnc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing