It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 pm

RME Fireface UC

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

donFrancesco

RME Fireface UC

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 4:42 am

Hi. I'm looking for an audio interface and I've found this offer on Amazon Italia:

RME Fireface UC at 443 € (470$)

Apart from sounding strange becuase the same interface in other shops has double the price.. I haven't found comments on the forum about it.

CONS
- Without ADAT expander I will be able to use only 6 outputs (3 stereo)
PROS
- The brand should mean quality and good drivers (is it really like this?)
- The possibility to expand the outputs with something like Behringer ADA8200 (I saw positive comments on the forum) remove the previous con..

If you think is better to let it go with that RME Fireface UC, possible alternatives are:
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
- Motu Mk3 Hybrid (it really attracts me.. also last post in the section speaks well about it)

I wait your opinions :wink: thanks

mdyde

Re: RME Fireface UC

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 am

Hello Don,

I've used audio various interfaces by M-Audio, E-MU, Focusrite, Echo, MOTU and RME over the years, and although all are potentially good, my general preference for audio interfaces these days is for RME (with MOTU a close second), since I've found their stability, drivers, audio quality, build quality, support, etc. to be especially good.

I have an RME UFX (the UC's bigger brother) and I find it to be excellent, on both Windows and Mac OS X, and via either FireWire or USB.

Looking at the specifications for the UC ( http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_uc.php ) I think it would give you the following outputs:

- 6 analogue balanced/unbalanced outputs via the back panel.
- Another 2 analogue unbalanced outputs via the headphones output on the front panel (which can also work at line level), i.e. giving a total of 8 analogue line-level outputs in all.
- Another 8 outputs via ADAT (with a suitable external 8-channel ADAT DAC).
- Another 2 outputs via S/PDIF (with a suitable external S/PDIF DAC).

Here's Sound on Sound's review of the UC: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rme-fireface-uc

I haven't tried a Motu Mk3 Hybrid, so I can't comment on how that compares, but I doubt you'd be disappointed with the RME.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

donFrancesco

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Ok. Thanks Martin. My order of the RME Fireface UC has been mysteriously cancelled... :?

Now I'm unsure between the Scarlett 18i20 and the Motu UltraLite MKIII Hybrid. I still have a doubt about this choice: is there a real improvement into using firewire port instead of USB (obviously regarding Hauptwerk)?
Thanks
Francesco

murph

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 8:14 pm

I would say there's no difference audio-wise between usb and firewire for the motu. However, even on windows, there is far less issues with traffic conflicts with firewire (e.g. the wispits issue with touch-screens) than usb. This can make life MUCH easier...
I don't now the focusrites very well, but have an ultralite and have used the RME quite a bit. If you're on mac, RME is the way to go. It's a superior unit and rock solid. I've never seen one go down on stage with a mac.

On windows, it's less clear-cut. Motu would tend to get my vote here, but I own several motu units, so, I may be biased, but I know it works as it should. Always.
However, RME should be just as good, I just haven't used the combination, so can't really say.

mdyde

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 4:46 am

Hello Don,

Re. FireWire vs. USB, FireWire is supposed to offer slight benefits in terms of reliable audio streaming at very low latencies (although the difference might be less significant with USB 3.0 devices and controllers, depending on how the motherboard's USB controller handles the relevant USB port). Presonus have a good article on it here:

http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046023-Should-I-choose-a-FireWire-or-USB-audio-interface-

My RME UFX has both FireWire and USB ports, so I normally use FireWire (but it's useful to have both options for future-proofing and maximum compatibility). The RME UCX has both too, and the UFX+ has Thunderbolt (best of all, although the UFX+ certainly isn't cheap).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

tf11972

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Hello donFrancesco,
I hope you are lucky and only your order has been cancelled and you have kept your money. There are many cheats on Amazon meanwhile who want to get your money outside of Amazon and then your money is lost. And Amazon does nothing against them.

I own the Fireface UC and although it has a heavy price you couldn't do better. Very low latency and the driver and the possibility to root your signals to every output you want makes it outstanding. And I don't have the problem, that my MIDI-channels are inverted when Windows makes a major update as with my two AIOs before.

I have bought it from Thomann, I think they deliver also to Italy.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

donFrancesco

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks Martin. I've red the article! With firewire I can have less interferences and conflicts than USB.

tf11972 I was also afraid of beign cheated, but I already verified... everything is ok. Simply they were selling something not available.

Thanks again for your attention!

Franesco

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 pm

tf11972 wrote:Hello donFrancesco,
I hope you are lucky and only your order has been cancelled and you have kept your money. There are many cheats on Amazon meanwhile who want to get your money outside of Amazon and then your money is lost. And Amazon does nothing against them.

I had a little such issue with Amazon. I purchased a video to VGA converter which lasted about 7 months. Finally called Amazon after my coworker happened to have their customer service phone number, I couldn't find any listing on their website for this or even an e-mail address.

Anyway I called them and they said the unit had a year warranty on it, but I would have to contact the manufacturer. So I looked on their website, and they clearly stated that if the product wasn't purchased directly from them, I would need to go back to Amazon or Ebay, whichever I purchased from.

To make a long story short, I was just going to forget about it and not buy electronics from Amazon anymore. In the morning I had received an e-mail from the lady I spoke to at Amazon wondering if I had a good experience contacting them. Needless to say I replied, quite peeved stating what I had found out from the manufacturer's website, also stating I would think twice about purchasing from Amazon again.

Not long after I received another e-mail from a completely different person. He apologized and said my query wasn't handled properly. They promptly refunded the full amount including shipping I paid. Then also asked me to order a replacement (the original seller through them didn't sell them anymore) anyway he said they would ship it next day. I told him I had already ordered a different unit from a reputable seller that hopefully would last a bit longer, and I wouldn't have the warranty issue.

Sometimes it does help to speak up :wink:

Eric

donFrancesco

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 3:42 am

Something similar happened to me. When the order was deleted, I wrote to Amazon. The next day I received a mail from a different person who explained me everything and is still messaging with me. I'm quite unworried about this contact becuase the mail is from a German shop I already checked on the web. The adress match with that on the site and the staff is just that shown in the "staff section". If I manage to get the RME Fireface UC for 470$ (443€) instead of full 920$ (869€) it's a pretty job.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 8:51 am

Hope you can get it for the low price. I was surprised how much they actually list for vs the price you found, although RME are usually quite pricy.

Eric

tf11972

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 1:59 pm

I would be careful, a listed webshop is no guarantee, that the shop really exists. I have no item found at this price on the web, even used firefaces are available not under 600 Euros.

But it's your money, you decide.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

donFrancesco

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Of course I keep my eyes and ears wide open... :shock:
since the offering was during the "black friday" I thought it was probably true.. however afte the deletion of the order someone tried to contact me... but I know the old story.. :lol:
I must set my mind at rest... and spend more money :roll:
Thanks

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing