It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm

Assigning MIDI controllers through MIDI sequencer

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Rimokatolik

Assigning MIDI controllers through MIDI sequencer

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm

I was using HW with Reaper as was described in pdf file from this site and everything works nicely. However, I would like to try to connect MIDI devices directly in Reaper, so that HW receives them through VST plugin. But this way HW's learn functionality does not work, although HW is receiving MIDI commands, and I can play HW, but could not find how to change assignments. Is there more info about that please?

jkinkennon

Re: Assigning MIDI controllers through MIDI sequencer

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm

If you set the Hauptwerk MIDI ports to see Reaper as a console source and destination instead of as a sequencer then HW will learn the organ controls correctly. The sequencer connections are fixed I believe so that recordings work the same from one HW setup to another.

Rimokatolik

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 pm

How do I do that please? Check box in the right column (Sequencer MIDI IN and OUT) in the MIDI ports dialog? I think it did not allow me more then one check box to be checked in the right column.

Rimokatolik

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 3:03 am

BTW, I see in Audio, MIDI and performance large window that MIDI messages are coming from sequencer, but I cannot do anything with them.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 6:01 am

Hello Rimokatolik,

The 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 189-194 of the current v4.2.1 version) has step-by-step instructions for how to use Hauptwerk in conventional MIDI sequencer environments, with MIDI going through your VST host (Reaper). Hence please try setting it up as described there (especially with the MIDI ports ticked in the *left-hand* 'Console MIDI IN' column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, and with nothing at all ticked on the 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tab).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Rimokatolik

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have investigated little bit more. I think I got what I want by using all MIDI devices from Hautpwerk and on Reaper side use ReaLearn to redirect assignments. This way I can also share organ configurations in Hautpwerk when I run it alone or under VST host.

But for the fullness of information, can you please explain why I cannot have some MIDI devices and VST link checked at the same time in MIDI IN ports assuming that different MIDI devices (not those checked in Hauptwerk) are used in VST host?

mdyde

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 6:24 am

Hello Rimokatolik,

The important thing is just that you don't have any given MIDI port enabled in both Hauptwerk and your VST host at the same time (otherwise you'd be likely to get unpredictable results).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing