It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm

VMeter no more available in Europe

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

VMeter no more available in Europe

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:36 am

Hello,
I would like to control the master audio volume output with an external controller because all my expression pedals are already used. Since VMeter is not available anymore, is there another similar product to do it? Thanks in advance.
Luc

organtechnology

Re: VMeter no more available in Europe

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am

ludu wrote:Hello,
I would like to control the master audio volume output with an external controller because all my expression pedals are already used. Since VMeter is not available anymore, is there another similar product to do it? Thanks in advance.

A additional expression pedal connected to the expression-pedal -encoder input (there is usually a spare) can be assigned to Hauptwerk's main volume control slider. You could even use the Crescendo pedal to do that on organs that have no Crescendo in the ODF.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

ludu

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 am

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your proposal. Unfortunately, I cannot install an additional expression pedal, there is no space for it. For this reason I need a slider or a potentiometer.
Luc

NickNelson

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:51 am

ludu wrote:Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your proposal. Unfortunately, I cannot install an additional expression pedal, there is no space for it. For this reason I need a slider or a potentiometer.

Nevertheless, if you do have a spare expression input, then a simple linear slide potentiometer (like those used on mixing desks) would work just fine if connected to it.

Nick

ludu

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Hello Nick,
Indeed, you are right. For this reason, I am looking for an external material like the VMeter (http://www.vmeter.net/), which does not need to modify the console.
Luc

magnaton

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Check out the Korg nanoKONTROL2. It is small, USB connected, and has 8 sliders and knobs that you can easily assign. Probably a little overkill for your needs compared to the single function of the VMeter. However it does have some per-labeled buttons for Play, Stop, Pause, FF, etc. that could be mapped to HW's Midi/Audio controls. So could be an additional benefit.

Danny B.

ludu

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Many thanks Danny for this suggestion. I will investigate.
Luc

engrssc

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 11:02 pm

A different approach possibly:

Lossless USB Volume Control Knob, Computer Speaker Audio Volume Controller Adjuster with One Key Mute Function Support Win7/8/10/XP/Mac/Vista Android

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Lossless-Computer-Controller-Adjuster/dp/B01MV411BR?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIZIG4YZ343Q56FKQ&tag=neucly0d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MV411BR

And there are cheaper models as well.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Control-Controller-Adjusting-Computers/dp/B016U2KXCG

Rgds,
Ed

ludu

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 3:50 am

Very interesting, but only for the general volume, because I am not sure it can send midi signals to Hauptwerk.
Luc

engrssc

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 am

No MIDI involved. It is as the description says, a total Master Volume control.to "directly control the computer operating system volume". Would need to check exactly what that means/does to Hauptwerk. A guess would be it conontrols the basic 2 channel output of the computer's audio output. However, could that (USB control) function be modified?

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 am

One thought about using a USB volume control mentioned above would be to control an application such as Gary's Regal Chorus http://www.organexpressions.com/ as a stand alone Reed division using a Mac Mini. The volume control via the USB unit and use the built in 2 channel audio output of the Mac Mini for this division driving a separate amp and spkrs.

Another thought, a while ago I saw on a You Tube video of (I believe) of a UK cathedral organ, that has a slider (control) mounted under a manual on what is normally a thumb piston rail to use as an auxiliary control (in addition to the normal swell shoe) to control the swell shades if both feet were busy at the time. It would be simple to replace and extend the potentiometer of the USB volume control to a remote slider or a swell pedal (potentiometer).

Last thought - "Elon Musk has launched a company dedicated to linking human brains with computers, The Wall Street Journal's Rolfe Winkler reported Monday."

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-neuralink-connect-brains-computer-neural-lace-2017-3

Just think how much hardware and interfaces we could eliminate with that setup. Scary. :shock: :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

dcaton

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 11:11 am

Check this stuff out: https://palettegear.com/ FAQ says it's midi-compatible.

I think you need to buy one of the starter kits which might be a little more than you want to spend, but this might be a nice way of adding controls to a console without it looking like a science fair project.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 am

This system has a very versatile MIDI mode. https://palettegear.com/midi.

Slightly pricey. It appears one's own imagination and the contents of one's wallet are the limiting factors. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Roman

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 am

You can go to any music store and ask for any MIDI controller with a knob or slider. Korg nano series seems the cheapest, but the pots/sliders are a bit tiny, and you will not use most of the controls there. It'll be plugged to the computer via USB and appear as new MIDI port, so you can assign whatever parameter in Hauptwerk.

That's if you don't like any DIY solution like drilling a hole for a potentiometer and connecting it to spare analog port in your MIDI encoder.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing