Search:
Submit Search

Lost all left channels using Hauptwerk VST Link

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...

Lost all left channels using Hauptwerk VST Link

Postby prosthotoothist » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello all,

I have a new problem that I have been unable to solve, so I need some guidance in finding a solution. Here is the situation: I have begun the movement of all things related to Hauptwerk onto a new computer since the old computer is years old and by today's standards is slow. I have been successful in the migration of Hauptwerk and three of the organs that I own. Some of my organs are dry, so I need reverb to make them listenable. In my old setup, I used Sonar Platinum and EastWest Quantum Leap's Spaces as my VST plugin for reverb and the sound was superb. I need to leave Sonar on the computer that is has always been on since I have a keyboard setup/sound system connected to that machine. So, I decided that I would buy Reaper and place it on the new machine so I could use the Spaces software as a VST plugin for the new setup. Things have gone well up to a point with this new computer setup. I installed Reaper successfully and installed Spaces as my reverb. I inserted Spaces into each of the multi-channel FX locations and then I set Hauptwerk to use the Hauptwerk VST Link and loaded the Armley-Schulze organ. Things worked as expected, except for one thing! Absolutely NO sound comes out of any of the left speakers. Right speakers are fine, so I have searched for something that is not set correctly. So far, I have not found any setting that isn't as the instruction indicate they should be. Also, if I deactivate Spaces and use one of Reaper's built-in reverbs, the result is the same: no sound out of the left speakers. I am using Focusrite's Scarlett 18i20 preamp which is a USB unit.

Does anyone have suggestion as to where in the chain I might have something incorrectly configured. If I go back into Hauptwerk (with the organ still loaded) and change the Audio Outputs to ASIO: USB 2.0 Audio Driver, then sound comes out of the left speakers as well as the right speakers! When I change back to Hauptwerk VST Link, no sound comes from the left speakers. By the way, my setup has 3 stereo pairs of speakers and 2 subwoofers. Each stereo pair and each subwoofer has its own amplifier.

Can someone with more expertise than I have please help me?

Regards,

Tom
prosthotoothist

Re: Lost all left channels using Hauptwerk VST Link

Postby Jan Loosman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello Tom

My guess is that in the sound output options in Reaper, your first channel selected is not the first channel you use in Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk channel 1 is routed to channel 2 of your soundcard and channel 2 to channel 3. etc.
Every Vst has a i,o button which you can use to route your channels in your vst itself, you can check these settings also.
Put the revearb vst behind the Hauptwerk Vst not before.

I hope one off my sugestions will help you.

Regards Jan
Jan Loosman

Postby prosthotoothist » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Jan,

Thanks for your reply and helpful information. I discovered that I had not indicated that I wanted more than channels 1/2 to be available to reaper, so when I changed that setting, I have sound on both the left and right sides. There was apparently a gap in the instructions that I was following in setting up both Hauptwerk and Reaper to work together. It is times like this that I wish there was a "button" that you could right click on and then click on "configure everything in my WHOLE system". That would be great! Unfortunately, it is not going to happen.

Regards,

Tom
prosthotoothist

Postby mdyde » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 am

[Topic moved here.]

Glad to hear you have it working properly now.
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing