It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 am

HW/REAPER - Trim dB settings

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Rimokatolik

HW/REAPER - Trim dB settings

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:10 am

When I am using HW and REAPER together, what is the better approach for sound quality - to adjust Volume and Trim dB in HW, or leave it to the max and adjust in REPAER? The purpose is to avoid clipping, as I noticed that this kind of settings needs to change as more stops are added to the playing. Thank you.

jkinkennon

Re: HW/REAPER - Trim dB settings

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 12:17 pm

There's room for some flexibility in how you control the volume. In theory it makes sense to keep the Hauptwerk settings just low enough to avoid clipping on full organ. That varies but might typically be -10 dB with the trim at 100%.

In practice it may make more sense to control the volume in Hauptwerk, especially since an extra console volume control or unused swell pedal can be autodetected to control the trim setting. I've used this approach but have also used my audio interface volume control, set to vary the levels of all channels of course.

The realistic dynamic range of an organ can be a bit overwhelming in a smaller space, or it can be just the ticket when visitors are singing along to Christmas Carols a few inches from one's ears.

Rimokatolik

Re: HW/REAPER - Trim dB settings

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 4:25 pm

That's very good point. I have not installed swell and crescendo pedals yet, so I forgot about them. Thank you very much

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing