It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 pm

Experience with MOTU UltraLite-mk3 on Windows?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

lstomkinson

Experience with MOTU UltraLite-mk3 on Windows?

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 pm

I need a good quality audio interface with 8+ analog outputs (hoping to eventually add studio monitors).
It needs to run well on a DIY Windows 7 or 10 machine.
(Wish I could afford a similarly powered Mac, but they are well above my budget ceiling.)
The MOTU UltraLite-mk3 http://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk3 looks like a great fit, spec-wise.
However, I've seen multiple complaints on the web that MOTU audio interfaces don't run well on Windows.
I've looked at various RME interfaces, but those with equivalent analog outputs are well above my budget.
Does anyone have experience or advice to share?
I feel really stuck. :(

ronnymn

Re: Experience with MOTU UltraLite-mk3 on Windows?

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 pm

I have used this for several years using all 8 outputs with Windows 10. The only problem I had was learning the timing of when to turn it on so that Windows would "recognize" it. If I turned it on before I tuned on the computer Hauptwerk would not "see" it. So-- start the computer first and then turn on the MOTU. No problems otherwise.
Ron in Minnesota

lstomkinson

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Good to know. Thank you.

magnaton

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 pm

ronnymn wrote:The only problem I had was learning the timing of when to turn it on so that Windows would "recognize" it.

LOL! Same here. I've had to learn the timing sequence of computer and MOTU startup as well. I've been using mine for over 3 years and I've been happy as the quality is very good. MOTU offers good technical support the one time I needed it. The only issue is that soft switch, it requires you to press a integrated knob to start each time when using a USB connection. It has built in effects and parametric EQ which I make good use of with my HW setup.

A HW colleague recently purchased the PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL and seems happy his purchase. It has the same number of output channels, built in effects, and a parametric EQ like the UltraLite-mk3. No soft switch and more competitive price. I've never heard one personally but you may find some 'shoot out' reviews online between the 2 since their feature set is so close.

Danny B.

ChangedForever

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 5:23 am

No problems with my MK3; Windows 7 Pro. Works fine, lasts a long time. I'm using 6 ports with two more Truth monitors to max it out soon since I now have the Rotterdam.

sonar11

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:05 am

I'm one of the ones experiencing problems with it. I don't have the timing issues that are mentioned above, my motu stays on permanently, and I suspend windows without turning it off. Basicallly I just click a key on my keyboard and windows resumes, HW is still open, I just "restart audio/midi" and I'm ready to go in 3 seconds.

But one of the problems I have is that windows won't resume the motu (like about once every 2 months), or sometimes the volume mysteriously drops by half and requires a windows restart. I've also walked into the room at one point to hear one of the speakers just screeching a way (with windows suspended, but the motu on) etc etc.

You might get be able to live with it, it sounds quite nice when it works. Drivers are definitely sub par for windows compared to mac.

BarryG

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 am

FWIW, I have the original UltraLite, running for many years. It's transitioned successfully through 3 PC hardware upgrades and 4 (I think) Windows upgrades -- Vista, XP, 7, and now running on 10. Using all the analog "outs" and the "ins" for my separate keyboard/synth/piano. I power it up first, then my computer, no problems.

lstomkinson

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you, everyone!
Overall, it sounds like the mk3 should work well for my situation. I feel so much better now!

sonar11 - I hear you about Windows. I work in high tech and know that the Windows OSes have a tendency to get "confused" -- to put it mildly. :roll: In fact, I've come to expect it, so your report will help me not to panic when there's a glitch. :)

I'll definitely keep the tips that you've all shared in mind ...
ALWAYS start MOTU before Windows.
ALWAYS! :D

Thank you again!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing