It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

Interface for MacBook users

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

profeluisegarcia

Interface for MacBook users

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello all¡
Following Marc´s advice, please let me ask a previous question in a new topic:
-I have two amplifiers (Pionner and Hardman Kardon), and each one fed two stereo speakers (15 in. subwoffer included in H/K)
-I have a MacBook with a slot for headphones and two slots for USB

Currently, the sound goes out from the computer via headphones and a split toward both amplifiers.

Question: In order to make two audio groups (one for rear, another to front, when possible) with my two amplifiers, what minimal interface and cables I would need (brand, model) and how to connect it to computer and amplifiers? (As you can see, I´ve been an ignorabimus in this matter... and how to organize the audio group...will be the next question¡)

Thanks¡

mdyde

Re: Interface for MacBook users

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:40 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

John_Abson

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 5:10 am

Based on my experience with a 2012 Mac Mini (and I am quite prepared - and happy - to be proven wrong!) it's not possible to run separate multiple stereo pair outputs - a pity because I have a pair of Cambridge Audio DacMagics which driving one stereo pair gave stunningly clean and clear results with very low latency. I even consulted Cambridge Audio about the possibility for multiple stereo pair outputs and they confirmed it.

I resorted to using a MOTU UltraLite mk3 with a FireWire connection. Works well, but in the limit I suspect the DacMagic is the better audio solution.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 am

Hello John/Luis,

Yes -- to use more than a single stereo output you would normally need to use a single dedicated audio interface that provides at least the desired number of audio output channels. (Alternatively, a few audio interfaces have drivers that are specifically designed to allow multiple identical interfaces to be used together as one, with the clocks synchronised together, e.g. via Word Clock connections.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing