It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

2 Manuals on the same Midi Channel - how to solve?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

organplayer

2 Manuals on the same Midi Channel - how to solve?

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello,

I just got an old Johannus organ (1410) in excellent condition for a small amount of money. It has two manuals and pedal. The manuals are fixed to midi channel 1 and 2 and the pedal is fixed to channel 3. That means you cannot change these midi channels. Period.

My problem: I like to use a third manual which I own since years. But this one also uses channel 1 by default. You can change the channel only temporarily to i.e.7. But whenever you turn power off and on it switches back to channel 1. Problem: The keys to switch the channel are not so easily accessible, because I like to integrate this manual into the corpus of the organ and these keys are now inside of the organ.

What to do? Any Ideas? I hoped that there would be a little, cheap piece of hardware available which would just change the midi channel. But I didn't find anything. By googleing (?? :) ) the whole day I found only that there are some people with the same problem - but no solution.

Thank you for any help and best regards
organplayer

jkinkennon

Re: 2 Manuals on the same Midi Channel - how to solve?

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 2:42 pm

If your third keyboard has it's own MIDI to USB adapter so that it doesn't feed into the Johannus then everything will be fine. Hauptwerk will see the channel 1 keyboards as separate devices since they come from different interfaces.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:42 am

Hello organplayer,

To add to jkinkennon's reply, yes -- effectively you would just need to connect the keyboard via a different computer MIDI IN port than that used by your Johannus. Hauptwerk would then be able to distinguish the two devices apart by their different MIDI ports (even though they would both be using the same MIDI channel).

If the keyboard has its own USB-MIDI connection then that should do fine, otherwise use a separate physical MIDI IN port on the computer (ideally via a multi-port MIDI interface, such as a MOTU Microlite or M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 or 4x4). If using a multi-port MIDI interface, you would connect your Johannus to one of the MIDI IN ports, and your MIDI keyboard to another.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organplayer

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Thank you - both - for your answers. That sounds fine!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing