It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

Issue with MIDI interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Issue with MIDI interface

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Slightly puzzling. Friend has a "black box" MIDI to USB interface. Works fine, sort of. Hauptwerk computer is connected to a Johannes (at his church). The above MIDI box has worked fine as a MIDI input device. It appears similar but smaller to a MIDI Solutions box, Labeled only In and Out with a USB connector and 2 - 5 pin MIDI/Din connectors. (USB powered) It's not a MIDI thru device either.

Hauptwerk recognizes it as USB MIDI In and USB MIDI Out. MIDI in is ticked and works. However, when also ticking USB MIDI Out, there is no (expected) MIDI output from the Out connector. Using Midi Ox (actually Midi Yoke) you can replicate/duplicate/bridge the MIDI In signal to the MIDI out connector just fine But of course, Hauptwerk sees it as the MIDI ports being used by another application. Obviously we want to see the Hauptwerk MIDI out, not the MIDI In. I just wanted to make sure the the MIDI Out of the "black box" was "capable".

Disconnecting - deleting the "box", rebooting with the box reconnected, Hauptwerk again sees it, but with both the MIDI In and MIDI Out ticked, there is no MIDI output. (No Hauptwerk warning of MIDI feedback either). The plan was to connect an external MIDI sound module (Rodgers MX200) to the "Black Box" MIDI out jack, which I do all the time at home, but I'm using a different MIDI interface. Could there be some internal "connection" in this box (causing MIDI feedback) that is "bothering" Hauptwerk? It is sealed, and I didn't want to hack into it.

All fingers point to the "black box", however when it is connected to another application (synthesizer), it works (In and Out) as expected. We have several work arounds, if needed, except using the existing box would be the most convenient. I should add, the same above situation exists whether anything (MX200) is connected or not. There is no external connection back to Hauptwerk either from the MIDI Out of the "Black box". The MX200 is working fine. I also used a scope at the MIDI Out connector. Flat line. :cry:

As Organplayer mentioned in another post, the expression pedals of this J are also connected to the amp modules and offer no MIDI output. Definitely not a swell box simulation..

Rgds,
Ed.

mdyde

Re: Issue with MIDI interface

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 am

Hello Ed,

Have you actually configured Hauptwerk to output any MIDI? Just ticking a MIDI OUT port isn't enough to do that, in itself.

For example, if you wanted Hauptwerk to output MIDI note-on/off from a given virtual keyboard or division (in order to play an external voice expander from Hauptwerk's virtual keyboards), then you would also need to go to the MIDI output tab of the relevant MIDI settings screen (either 'Organ settings | Keyboards' or 'Organ settings | Advanced MIDI ... | Direct MIDI output from divisions') and enable MIDI output there, whilst also telling Hauptwerk which MIDI OUT port and MIDI channel you'd like it to use.

You could also verify whether/when Hauptwerk was sending MIDI output by watching the red 'Console MIDI OUT' virtual MIDI activity LEDs on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...').
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks, Martin. Yes, Hauptwerk was sending MIDI output. Besides seeing it on the 'Console MIDI OUT' virtual MIDI activity LEDs, the MIDI interface I brought along worked fine. My "problem" is that I tend to think in terms of the bigger picture and overlook the obvious

End result, the problem stemmed from a substandard MIDI cable (pins were smaller in diameter) along with a cold solder joint on pin 5 of the "black box" (poor QC)..The b/b opened easily with the fingernail around the edge technique. After the repair, a few drops of nail polish (not mine) secured the lid. My bad, I should have followed my instincts. Martin's reply got me back on the logical signal tracing path. Thanks again for the review, Martin.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks, Ed.

Glad to hear you've managed to solve it now.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing