It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 am

Using the buttons on my Yamaha Moxf8 to control organ stops

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

pblais

Using the buttons on my Yamaha Moxf8 to control organ stops

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello...
My name is Pierre..
I am brand new to this forum but not new to virtual organs and Hauptwerk. Here is my setup.
i7 quad 4 processor with 32 gig of ram,
2 T-byte hybrid hard drive for operating system and and programs. Also used for storage of non samples.
2 T-byte SSD for sample storage
Focusrite 6i6 interface
and finally a Yamaha Moxf8 Synth Workstation.

Since the Moxf8 is capable for 4 channels of MIDI on its USB connector, I am using the Focusrite 6i6 for output only from the computer while the Moxf8 is wired directly into the computer USB port.

So here is the question that I posed over at the Motifator Yamaha forum and have had no answer yet. I know it's a far shot asking it here since the chances of someone having a Mox series keyboard is slim... But, I will ask it anyway.
Here goes

I have my Moxf8 connected to my PC and would like to use some of the “buttons” on it to trigger some events or changes in a VST. More specifically, I have the Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ software and I would like to change the “stops” by merely pressing a button and not have to use my mouse to click on the console that is displayed on my PC screen.
Yes, I have and could hook up and external MIDI controller such as a Launchpad and use the buttons on it to achieve the same results. But, that would be adding another piece of hardware/equipment to the equation. I already have the Moxf8 and my foot pedals. So, I was hoping that there is a way to get to the same place by using some of the control/buttons on the Moxf8.

I should mention here that the Moxf8 is capable for some limited DAW control such as <play> <record> etc buttons.

Thank you all in advance
Pierre

magnaton

Re: Using the buttons on my Yamaha Moxf8 to control organ st

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm

I'd start with the simplest solution and try HW's "Auto Detect" feature. See Page 42 of the Hauptwerk user's guide. Your keyboard looks new enough to where all buttons should generate a MIDI signal. The Moxf8's Mod wheel can be used to virtually move the swell pedal again using auto detect.

Danny B.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 4:58 am

Hello Pierre,

To add to Danny's reply, if it turns out that Hauptwerk can't simply auto-detect the buttons as they're currently configured, you could try running MIDI-OX ( http://www.midiox.com/ , when Hauptwerk isn't running), to see what MIDI messages (if any) the buttons are sending, and whether each given button always sends the same MIDI message (which would be needed, in order for it to be usable with Hauptwerk).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

pblais

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Thank you both Danny and Martin..

I will check page 42 of the manual right now here at my work and try things out tonight when I get home from work with midiOX. As a side note on swell. I have a stand-alone USB pedal that I plan to use to control swell. But if I remember, (I can't try it right now since I am at work) I think the MOD wheel already does control the swell pedal within Hauptwerk.

Thanks guys

Best regards,
Pierre

pblais

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you guys... everything worked as advertised :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mdyde

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 am

Thanks, Pierre.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing