Search:
Submit Search

Portable keyboard with USB only?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...

Portable keyboard with USB only?

Postby TimM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Someone asked me a simple Hauptwerk question I could not answer, because I've never tried. He has a cheap little portable keyboard with no MIDI output, but a USB port to connect it to a computer. Would the free edition of Hauptwerk connect properly to this keyboard? I told him it's very likely, but I'd like confirmation. Thanks!
TimM

Re: Portable keyboard with USB only?

Postby johnh » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:55 pm

If the keyboard shows up as a MIDI device to the operating system (Windows or OS/X) it should work with Hauptwerk. Some keyboards require that drivers be installed others work out of the box.
johnh

Postby mdyde » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 am

Hello Tim,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to John's reply (thanks, John), yes -- I'd expect that the device presents itself as a computer MIDI IN port via USB, so it should work. [Also note that Hauptwerk queries audio and MIDI devices (only) when it launches, so it would be important that he connects the keyboard before launching Hauptwerk, and keeps it connected and powered up whenever Hauptwerk is running; Hauptwerk doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices.]
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby Romanos » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:32 pm

If the keyboard is new enough to have a USB connection I'd bet all the monies in my wallet it will work just fine. The whole purpose of a USB-enabled device is to use in MIDI applications, DAW's and the like.
Romanos

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing