Search:
Submit Search

Tascam US‑20x20

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...

Tascam US‑20x20

Postby hptschupp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

Wondering if somebody has experience with the Tascam US‑20x20 USB 3.0 sound interface?
hptschupp

Re: Tascam US‑20x20

Postby Rodgers321 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 pm

I have no experience with the Tascam US-20x20 BUT I have been using a Tascam US-10x08 for about a year and a half. My unit works very well on my organ computer (running Win 10). There are 8 outputs on my unit plus a lot of other stuff that is not needed for Hauptwerk.

Also of use, my US-10x08, automatically changes sample rates when another sample set is loaded that has a different rate. (48 vs 44.1 - etc.).

Looking at the specs for the US-20x20 it would appear there are 10 outputs (plus the other mixing stuff that is not needed for Hauptwerk. Some manufacturers tend to list all output channels - even if they are duplicated and cannot be separately used.

I would certainly buy my unit again, if something happed to it.

Don
Rodgers321

Postby jkinkennon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Looks good but I have never tried it. A company like Sweetwater (and I'm sure others) will treat you right if it doesn't work out. I see they require Windows 10 if connected to a PC.

Just 10 output ports (balanced) without an ADAT expander. Many would find the mixing capabilities useful. With USB 3.0 you at least know that the USB design is recent and possibly less troublesome than trying to run an older design on a new USB 3.0 port.

It's a reputable company. Buy from a company that you know will provide support or replacement/refund or at least trade-in credit if there are problems.
jkinkennon

Postby hptschupp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

the Tascam 20x20 apparently has 10 analog OUT and 10 additional OUT via ADAT. Since I never dealt with an ADAC Expander can somebody tell me more? It actually says not ADAT but "Expandable via S/PDIF and optical I/O".

My question is what kind of module would increase the analog channels from 10 to 20. I have a hard time to find such an expander.
hptschupp

Postby magnaton » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 pm

I just checked out this unit. It has a digital output (and input), the label on the back says 8 additional channels (if the sound is recorded) at 44Khz. This should hold true for 48Khz recordings too which are the 2 resolutions of wav samples used by Hauptwerk.

To connect, you would use a Toslink fiber cable to an ADAT. This unit here has been discussed before:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADA8200

Notice on the back it has the same digital Toslink ports, input & output.

This Tascam also has a digital coax (RCA style plug) also known as s/pdif which can provide an additional 2 channels of output. What you would need then is an adapter for taking the 2 channel digital coax signal and split it into a separate L & R analog. This unit or something similar:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EPW7TA?ref=emc_b_5_i

So this is how you can achieve 20 channels total. BTW, the spec sheet for many interfaces also include the headphone jack(s) which technically are outputs too. Thus this unit has the capability of 24 outputs!

Danny B.
magnaton

Postby hptschupp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:31 am

Thank you so much Danny.

So if I understand correctly: connecting Toslink Fiber Cable from the Tascam 20x20 <OUT> to The Behringer ADA8200 <IN> I would have a total of18 channels OUT with the sample frequency of 48KHz.
The Tascam 20x20 would have be connected to my computer via USB 3.0 which runs Windows 10.

That is exactly what I would need, 18 channels. (12 Front, 2 Middle, 2 Rear, 2 Subwoofers).

Do I also have to connect the SYNC coaxial cable and use one unit as the Master and the other as Slave to synchronize the clock?
hptschupp

Postby mdyde » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 am

hptschupp wrote:Do I also have to connect the SYNC coaxial cable and use one unit as the Master and the other as Slave to synchronize the clock?

ADAT carries the clock signal anyway, so there's no need for a separate Word Clock connection when connection ADAT DACs (i.e. on the output side, as you'd be doing).
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby hptschupp » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:01 am

Thank you Martin!
hptschupp

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing