It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

Sounds Too Easy....

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

joeroberts

Sounds Too Easy....

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Since day one...I have run a stereo 1/8 inch cable from the PC audio output (where you plug-in your earphones) to a reasonable stereo amp/speakers input...with very satisfactory results.....Now don't laugh, but is this the normal hookup method?
I own a 24" Toshiba touch-screen with Windows-10.....Never any problems....
I also use (on another setup) a quality Vizio soundbar with a single Casio keyboard (sounds great)....
Thank you friends,
Joe

engrssc

Re: Sounds Too Easy....

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 pm

That's one of the neat things about Hauptwerk. Every installation can be whatever the "owner" wants it to be. The bottom (main) line is that you enjoy it. :)

Rgds,
Ed

joeroberts

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks Ed....
But that really doesn't answer my question......
I recognise you as a long time knowledgeable member.....
But if you know of other ways...please share it....
Thanks anyway.....
Joe

mdyde

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 3:49 am

Hello Joe,

These documents (linked to from the 'Support | Prerequisites' section of the website) cover audio interfaces, ASIO drivers, and speakers:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 am

Hi Joe:

From my experience, the most recognizable upgrade would be to an audio interface. You would be moving from a consumer grade D/A (digital to analog) electronics to a professional or semi-professional grade D/A.

Back in the day, as it was explained to me, there were 2 basic camps to enhance your music listening pleasure:
A - start with the best sound source you can or
B - have the best amplification (amps and speakers) you can afford.
For group "A" that meant half-master vinyl records, imported stylus usually over a $100, and high end grade turn table. Follow this path and you can keep your existing stereo deck and speakers as once you've upgraded the source, it will sound really good played back on almost anything.
Group "B" said keep your existing record collection but upgrade your amps and speakers and you'll enjoy listening experience that much more. If you were a serious audiophile you'd subscribe to both camps..

Fast forward here to the digital age and we have Group A covered, especially with Hauptwerk given the various high quality, professionally recorded, mulit-released, de-noised, etc. pipe samples. Speaker technology has improved a lot over the years with better bass response and clarity found in smaller sizes, moderately priced. Add a plus mark for Group B.

What gets overlooked is there is now a step between A and B which involves converting the digital data into an analog signal. Group A was right as commercial digital recordings sound pretty good played back from a pair inexpensive computer speakers. I ran my HW setup like yours for over a year. I think many forum members started this same way. I had a Soundblaster card with extra digital inputs and outputs with 5.1 surround sound capability running through a decent AV deck and large 3 way speakers. When I added a MOTU audio interface the clarity and dynamics improved so much it was as though moving quilts had been taken off the speakers! Many of the voicing details of the recorded pipes like the harmonics of a Diapason or the air attack on a reed or a crispness in a tuned percussion were now all audible!

Danny B.

NickNelson

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 pm

joeroberts wrote:Now don't laugh, but is this the normal hookup method?

Hi Joe,

For those that don't have more sophisticated audio setups/aspirations I'd say it is the normal method, probably the only way to do it.

As Ed suggested, if you're perfectly happy with the way it sounds I'd leave it as it is.

As others have suggested there are ways to 'improve' the sound, but at a potentially significant cost.

Nick

engrssc

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 pm

NickNelson wrote:As others have suggested there are ways to 'improve' the sound, but at a potentially significant cost.

And a bit of effort as well.

I've had my setup since H/W Version 1.0 (2003 or so) :roll: and it's still a work in progress. :shock:

I have no way to guesstimate the hours spent or the extent of enjoyment (mixed in with some frustration.)
Makes for quite a balanced diet.

Rgds,
Ed

joeroberts

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Nick....(especially)..et al....
Thanks so much for a simple answer to a (to many out there-----a dumb question).....I cannot ever afford to own a console set-up with all the bells and whistles...nor am I even a decent organist.....more like a wannabe.....But by gosh...when I play, I think I am Bach reincarnated (and have fooled afew people with my playing)......But as one reply indicated that I interpreted as...."Do the best with what you have.....whatever works for you"....and that's exactly what I have done for these years of being a member....I can't afford to get into digital amplification...but I appreciated the suggestion of another respondent.....Never-the-less......I enjoy my Hauptwerk and the forum/support.......
Thank you all for your consideration....
Joe

engrssc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Way to go, Joe. As I said, the main thing is that what you do works for you. And that you get enjoyment. :D No need to say more.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing