It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

Usage Behringer FCB1010

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

FredM

Usage Behringer FCB1010

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello,

I created my low-budget organ with three USB MIDI keyboards plus midified pedal from a Monark organ (see pictures on http://wf.mellink.info/en/mellink-uk/ma ... -hauptwerk
Sometimes I play some Romantic music that needs crescendo's and decrescendo's. In that case I record MIDI and replay and record to wav to add the (de)crescendo's to the music using the pitchbend on the lowest keyboard.
Now I have been thinking. Is it possible to connect a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller and use the 2 pedals as Swell and the 10 pads to program the default 10 presets. is this feasible and how do I fix that?

Thanks for your feedback, Fred Mellink

mdyde

Re: Usage Behringer FCB1010

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 am

Hello Fred,

Congratulations on the impressive console.

FredM wrote:Now I have been thinking. Is it possible to connect a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller and use the 2 pedals as Swell and the 10 pads to program the default 10 presets. is this feasible and how do I fix that?

[Topic moved here, since it's a MIDI hardware question, rather than a Hauptwerk technical support issue per-se.]

I don't have first-hand experience with any of Behringer's current products, but my understanding from a brief forum search for 'FCB1010':

search.php?keywords=FCB1010

E.g.:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15702
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13341
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15149

... is that they can be configured to send standard MIDI control change messages from their expression pedals, and standard MIDI program change messages from their buttons, and thus should be usable with Hauptwerk.

Assuming that's the case, you should just need to connect the device to the computer (when Hauptwerk isn't running), launch Hauptwerk, make sure that the relevant MIDI IN port is ticked in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen, then use right-click auto-detection to detect the device's MIDI expression pedals to your desired virtual expression pedals, and do likewise to detect its MIDI buttons to your desired virtual pistons. (For example, you could detect its MIDI buttons to Hauptwerk's stepper pistons, or its Master Generals.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

amun

Re: Usage Behringer FCB1010

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Hello Fred,
although easy to integrate into Hauptwerk and despite its numerous switches/two swells the FCB 1010 has a serious disadvantages, which are difficult to handle for an organist ( who can not pay any attention to placing his foot on the swells):
- the swells foot surfaces are to small,
- operating them at the same time as TO-Organists do by heel on on one and toes on the other is impossible,
- they work too smoothly: a very slight touch will already result in a volume change/change of registration and - most nasty - they will not stay reliably in their position,
and
- to bring them into a good position for the organist is quite a challange.

But if you can live with that the FCB will be ok.

amun :wink:

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing