It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

Launchpads general query

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Albo

Launchpads general query

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:40 am

Hi
having now retired from work I plan to start work on my Hauptwerk setup soon. Although I do not have a touch screen monitor I have seen some discussions about the use of Novation Launchpads : Some regarding MKI and some MKII. Before I purchase one, I just need some help with the way these work with Hauptwerk.

I would like to be able to assign specific buttons to a certain stops so that I can see what have been selected and think that there are issues with the different versions / MIDI implementation in that the buttons do not light up / off when stops are selected? Can anyone help clarify what launchpads can / can't do with Hauptwerk, bearing in mind that I seem to be only able to see MKII's on Amazon UK at present.

Thanks.
Alan

lefranc22

Re: Launchpads general query

PostThu May 11, 2017 5:14 am

Every model of the Novation Launchpads do the same. They are a 80 keys USB keyboard, automatically recognized by Hauptwerk when plugged in an USB connexion. It does not need an external power supply.
Using a right-clic you can assign the Launchpad a key and a color to every Hauptwerk command (stop, couplers, registration and so on), for any sample-set. Hauptwek will remember your choose and the Launchpad will be configured for that sample-set every time you will use it.
When you press a key of the Launchpad the chosen Hauptwerk command is On (both on the Launchpad an on the Hauptwerk screen). When you press it again, this command is Off. One can not find easier.
The only differences between launchpad models are the price, the size and the number of usable colors. The size of the mini is 18.5 x 18.5 cm (6.1 x 6.1 inches) other models are 32 x 31 cm (12.6 x 12.2 inches). But they are doing the same with Hauptwerk.
I'm using such Launchpad since several years and I'm satisfied: easy, robust and fiable.

mdyde

PostThu May 11, 2017 5:18 am

Hello Alan,

[Topic moved here.]

Here are some relevant threads on the various Launchpad versions/models:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15870&p=119317#p119316
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14814
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15809
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16029

mdyde wrote:Hauptwerk has native support for the original Launchpad models (including control of their buttons' internal lamps),
Novation changed their MIDI implementation a bit with their 'Mark 2' models (including the Launchpad Pro), and Hauptwerk doesn't yet have full support for that (but we do plan to add it in the future). My understanding from Launchpad Pro users is that the Launchpad Pro buttons do still work with Hauptwerk's auto-detection, except that their buttons might not light up in the intended colours:

Original (='Mark 1') Launchpads are no longer available new, but they can be bought readily, and relatively inexpensively, second-hand (e.g. via eBay) if you'd prefer 100% compatibility with the Launchpad settings/colours in Hauptwerk v4.2.1.

Albo wrote:I would like to be able to assign specific buttons to a certain stops so that I can see what have been selected and think that there are issues with the different versions / MIDI implementation in that the buttons do not light up / off when stops are selected?

The buttons should light up correctly in all situations with the original (=Mark 1) Launchpads, and my understanding, based on feedback from others (e.g. in the links above), is that 'Mark 2' models' buttons can be made to light up with v4.2.1 if the 'dim/bright' option is selected in Hauptwerk, although some of the colour options might be not give the expected button colours.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Albo

PostThu May 11, 2017 6:32 am

Thank you for your prompt replies. I will continue looking at the Launchpad MKII available on Amazon and the comments other users have posted.
Many thanks.

Alan

magnaton

PostThu May 11, 2017 10:12 am

An updated version of the original LaunchPad was called the Model "S" which was prior to the MKII. Here is one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-LaunchPad-S-/162503489037?hash=item25d5f6760d:g:OG4AAOSwaB5XufKX

This model offered brighter lights and no engravings on the circular buttons plus being a previous generation, you should get some cost savings. One user made up some matching gray paint and painted over all the standard Novation text then added his own labels. I have mine (a model S) mounted on a 1/2" wooden panel then this panel is attached to a VESA monitor mount. I am able to place the Launchpad in the same position as a stop jamb. Works great and I've tighten the pivot points on the VESA mount so there is zero movement when pressing the buttons.

Danny B.

jrball

PostFri May 12, 2017 3:47 pm

I have six Launchpads for sale - see my post in another forum section.
I can also offer guidance on setting them up.

jbittner

PostSat May 13, 2017 10:00 am

Behringer has a Launchpad Model S clone, CMD Touch TC64 that is now discontinued but commonly available new on eBay for under $50 (US). I'm using two of these in my Hauptwerk setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEHRINGER-CMD-T ... Swc1FXY478
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

engrssc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing