It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am

System Reliability

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

eruppenthal

System Reliability

PostSun May 21, 2017 6:34 am

On another thread I complain about how a Roland MIDI interface (UM-ONE mk2) suddenly stops working on Windows 10 when Microsoft forces an update on my platform. In summary, the interface relies on Windows 10 to do the driver management. There are no drivers available through Roland support. The interface worked for a short time until Microsoft forced their update on my PC. Now the device complains that the driver doesn't exist.

I have not yet built my Hauptwerk system, but am now very leery of the architecture I had in mind. This seems to me a fatal flaw. My system could become completely non-operational on the whim of Microsoft. And for how long? It's been a week now and no response from either Roland or Microsoft. Have others experienced this, or anything similar? Are there strategies to deal with something like this? I'm tempted to consider Apple, but they've also become very aggressive with software updates. Keep the main PC off the network? Keep multiple brands of MIDI interfaces on hand for quick replacement? That last one's a bit hopeful since if a software update affects one driver, there's a good chance it would affect others.

Cheers,
Ernest

evertjan

Re: System Reliability

PostSun May 21, 2017 7:15 am

The UM-ONE mk2 driver, also for Windows 10, can be download here:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/

Further more, you can disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10 to prevent this issue. See
https://www.itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows/ how to do this.

ReinerS

PostSun May 21, 2017 7:18 am

Regardless of the underlying operating system for maximum reliability the sayings "never touch a running system" or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" hold a lot of wisdom! In other words, get it working once, and then leave it alone (meaning without network connection, so there won't be any updates). Naturally this is only possible if the computer is dedicated to your organ and not being used for anything else, and if you have something (USB-stick) to transfer data like new samplesets fromt he internet to the computer. Embedded computers like the ones used in standard digital organs normally never get updated throughout their time of use, so why should that be necessary for a Hauptwerk organ?
For maximum reliability any update (be it operating system, Hauptwerk software etc.) should be considered carefully, i.e. one should ask if the potential benefit of the update justifies the potential risk of it breaking anything.
Needless to say, this is just my personal opinion :wink:

Best regards
Reiner

eruppenthal

PostSun May 21, 2017 11:33 am

evertjan wrote:The UM-ONE mk2 driver, also for Windows 10, can be download here:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/

Further more, you can disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10 to prevent this issue. See
https://www.itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows/ how to do this.

If you download and open the above file, you'll find there are no drivers in it.
Disabling automatic driver updates is probably a good idea, but wouldn't have helped in this instance, which is a forced OS update. These have been a frequent complaint of Windows 10, especially from enterprise customers. They recently did away with them for WIndows 10 Pro, but remain in effect for WIndows 10 Home.

jkinkennon

PostSun May 21, 2017 11:40 am

The simple solution is to use almost any interface other than the Roland UM-ONE Mk2. I made a couple of recommendations on the similar thread. Sorry that I missed the Roland problem with their driver delivery method.

You can make your own choices about whether or not to allow updates. I've had one update issue with my system, but I am on the fast track for prerelease updates and can expect something like this. I reported the problem with an iLok device which is similar to the HW dongle and had an update that fixed the issue a couple of days later. Of course that issue never made it to any normal release.
EDIT: I solved this problem by backing out of the update. That's not hard to do.

I should add that I have had to give my PC an extra restart following an operating system upgrade lately, but never for the usual security updates.

Lots of audio and video professionals use the Mac, but that is an expensive choice. I've got a Mac mini that I love but it doesn't have the memory (16G) to handle newer sample sets.

evertjan

PostSun May 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Sorry that there is no driver in the file. I don't have a UM-ONE mk2 and thought that this was the driver.

But, when you go to the 'Device manager' in Windows and select the UM-ONE mk2, go to the driver TAB and choose 'Roll Back Driver'. Doing this the previous driver (the working driver for you) will be active.

About the forced update of Windows 10: disable automatic driver update also works with this force update. In this case no driver update will be done. Read the first paragraph of the webpage of the given URL.

eruppenthal

PostMon May 22, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Assembling a working system with a dedicated PC, and then taking it off the network seems like the best option.

engrssc

PostMon May 22, 2017 1:38 pm

And further, always a good plan to do a backup. Even the best HDD'S or SSD's do go bad.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing