It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

What exactly is a MIDI interface?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Brent_Clark

What exactly is a MIDI interface?

PostSat May 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Yes, with apologies, I'm actually that clueless.

I have a Nord C2D organ with MIDI I/O and a Viscount MIDI pedalboard. I'm researching what I need minimally to test the Hauptwerk waters. After viewing written material and videos here on the Hauptwerk website, I was under the impression that I needed an audio/MIDI interface such as an RME Fireface for a basic operational setup to connect my organ rig to my Dell laptop. However, after reading chapter 4 of Kenneth Spencer's Hauptwerk book, I get the impression that basically all I really need to connect the Nord/Viscount to the laptop is an adapter cable with USB on one end and MIDI I/O on the other; is this correct?

Thank you

mdyde

Re: What exactly is a MIDI interface?

PostSat May 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Hello Brent,

Thanks very much for the interest.

From a brief look at the C2D's specifications on Nord's website ( http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-c2d ), the C2D has a USB output, so you could probably just connect it to your computer via USB (instead of using real MIDI ports/cables), first making sure that the C2D's USB is driver is installed on the computer ( http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/products/nord-c2d-organ ). Most USB-capable keyboards will present their USB connections to the computer as MIDI ports, so if you launch Hauptwerk *after* making sure that the C2D is connected and powered up then hopefully you will see an entry for the C2D on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen. You need to tick that entry in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column, click OK, and follow the other instructions in the 'Quick-start' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk) to load the St. Anne's organ and use right-click auto-detection to map the virtual keyboards to your C2D's physical keyboards.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Lindsay

Re: What exactly is a MIDI interface?

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Brent, I'm very interested to hear how Hauptwerk integrated with the C2D.
Do you use a touchscreen PC, or do you use the drawbar/stops on the C2D?
I'm considering purchasing a C2D for this exact use.
Thanks

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing