It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

RME Fireface UFX+ Vs. RME Fireface UCX

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Brent_Clark

RME Fireface UFX+ Vs. RME Fireface UCX

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm in the market for the best audio/MIDI interface for my needs within budget. I'm deliberating between the RME Fireface UFX+ or the UCX. It's been suggested to me by a knowledgeable sales professional (who isn't particularly familiar with Hauptwerk) that the UFX+ would be total overkill.

However, I've had my eye on the UFX+ for home studio recording even before finding out about Hauptwerk. But perhaps the UFX would handle all my home studio needs as well.

As far as Hauptwerk is concerned, would I lose anything of significance by stepping down from the UFX+ to the UCX?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank you.

mdyde

Re: RME Fireface UFX+ Vs. RME Fireface UCX

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 3:23 am

Hello Brent,

Purely for Hauptwerk purposes, I would say that the relevant differences are as follows:

UFX+:

- 12x analogue audio outputs.
- 2x ADAT outputs, giving a potential total of 28x audio outputs (including the analogue outputs and the ADAT channels). (It also has MADI potentially allowing further audio outputs, albeit at significant cost.)
- Thunderbolt + USB 3.0.
- Introduced this year (2017), so maximum useful lifespan.
- Review: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rme-fireface-ufx-plus

UCX:

- 8x analogue audio outputs.
- 1x ADAT output, giving a potential total of 16x audio outputs (including the analogue outputs and the ADAT channels).
- FireWire 400 + USB 2.0.
- Introduced in 2012, but still a current model.
- Review: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rme-fireface-ucx
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RichardW

Re: RME Fireface UFX+ Vs. RME Fireface UCX

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 am

I have a UCX and to my ears the sound quality was a definite step up from the EMU card I had previously.

My initial thoughts were: I need stereo and the UCX has 8 outputs so I will have more than enough capability.

Now I have actually used it I realise that with surround sound, a subwoofer and headphones I have already used 7 of those outputs without really trying. This will be OK for me for the foreseeable future but if you want to experiment with more than just a "basic" system you need to consider the UFX.

The annoying part is just how much other technology (analogue inputs, digital channels etc) you have to buy as well.

Just my two penn'orth.

Regards,
Richard

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing