It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 pm

Recording HW in Cantabile

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

randallschmid

Recording HW in Cantabile

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am

Hi all,

I have been successfully using Cubase to record HW. This requires the use of LoopMIDI, which captures the notes and registration changes from HW. I am attempting to move to Cantabile Pro to take advantage of its ability to quickly change VST instrument configurations.

Cantabile does not seem to have the ability to record the output from LoopMIDI. However if a midi file recorded in Cubase is loaded into Cantabile, Cantabile will play HW and set the registrations.

Has anyone had success recording HW in Cantabile that can shed some insight?

mdyde

Re: Recording HW in Cantabile

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

OrganoPleno

Re: Recording HW in Cantabile

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm

randallschmid wrote:Cantabile does not seem to have the ability to record the output from LoopMIDI. However if a midi file recorded in Cubase is loaded into Cantabile, Cantabile will play HW and set the registrations.

Has anyone had success recording HW in Cantabile that can shed some insight?

I use HW in Cantabile, without LoopMIDI. To record a MIDI file from HW, I just do that inside HW using its own "MIDI Record" feature.

I don't need Cantabile to give MIDI input to HW (although that can certainly be done), but let HW get its input directly from the Console, or from its own MIDI playback. I set HW to give Audio Output through its VST, which plays in Cantabile and allows me to route the VST's audio output through another VST serving as a Reverb Unit, and from there to my Sound Card (with ASIO driver), Many other arrangements are possible, depending on needs and desires.

Cantabile DOES have the ability to record, both MIDI and Audio, both Input and Output. By checking the right boxes (which might get a little tricky), it should be able to record directly whatever MIDI input it is receiving from the LoopMIDI, if the LoopMIDI is set as "MIDI Input" for the Cantabile. Good luck!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing