It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am

Echo AudioFire repair - what type of solder?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

organsRgreat

Echo AudioFire repair - what type of solder?

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:45 pm

François Ratte – the Hauptwerk Consultant –

http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/

has kindly sent me some information from Echo which may resuscitate my poorly AudioFires. I need to replace one component, and I've heard that it's important to use the same type of solder that was used by the manufacturer. Any thoughts as to whether Echo would have used silver solder or lead-based solder in these units?

brooke.benfield

Re: Echo AudioFire repair - what type of solder?

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I seriously doubt Echo would have used silver solder. They either used regular Tin/Lead stuff or if they manufactured according to the RoHS standard, then the solder would have to be Lead Free.

It is best to not mix the two solder types with each other as it could lead to unreliable connections down the road, according to my understanding.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 8:26 pm

True silver solder melts at a much higher temperature. I've done alot of electronics work and have always used tin/lead solder. Most of my work however was before the lead free stuff came out. If you are replacing a part and remove most of the existing solder, I don't think it's an issue. I would use the tin/lead if I were doing the work.

The solder I don't care for as much and is a bit more fussy is the water based flux core. But if you build a board, it's much easier to clean the flux off.

I assume Francois has you replacing an electrolytic capacitor?

Eric

organsRgreat

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 am

Thanks for the advice – I'll use tin/lead solder; already have some here and I'm used to it. Perhaps the distinction is between tin/lead and lead-free solder? I'm a bit out of touch with “real electronics” nowadays.

Yes – it's an electrolytic capacitor that François recommends replacing. Apparently the success rate is around 40 percent, but worth a try. A bit upset that Echo no longer makes these soundcards so they can't be repaired :-(

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:07 am

Yes I agree, I have an AF12. It's been working well since 2009. I had another one before that that kept making a snapping sound. For a long time I thought it was from my computer. Echo replaced it though after they figured out it was the main board and they couldn't fix it. I keep mine off when not in use.

Eric

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing