It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 pm

Background noise & displayed window

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Background noise & displayed window

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 am

Hello,
I have noticed that many light and white colours displayed on my touch screens cause a background noise. Only when the windows are black and empty I can get the perfect silence. What could be the cause of this problem?
Luc

josq

Re: Background noise & displayed window

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:59 am

Ground loop? Maybe you can connect your speakers to a separate power outlet to see if that solves the problem.

jkinkennon

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:53 pm

I had a similar problem when I first experimented with Windows 10 Game Mode and had both Hauptwerk and Reaper enabled with the presumably higher priorities. That's a guess at the cause of my issues, but the results were like what you describe. I could do a temporary workaround by starting any other program such as control panel or task manager and giving the new window the focus by clicking on it. That would quiet the extreme noise.

I would check anything to do with foreground (program) vs. background (services) processes and also make sure that the computer is not otherwise overloaded or marginal on remaining memory or SSD space. Let us know what you find out. I could hardly believe the havoc caused when I would run my mouse pointer over the stops on my touchscreen.

I am assuming that the noise is in your audio channels. It is also possible for the monitors themselves to make a noise that varies with the screen content. That would be due to vibrating windings (coils) in a monitor's power supply. This is more likely with full size TV monitors, but it is a remote possibility.

ludu

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:44 am

Many thanks for your suggestions. In the meantime, I have deepened my investigations and I have discovered that this strong noise does not come from my speakers, but from one of my touch screens (a Samsung T2452MTS). The other one is exactly the same model but does not cause any problem. I will have to replace it.

Cordially.
Luc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing