It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

launchpad problem mac mini

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

kruimel

launchpad problem mac mini

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 am

I recently bought 2 mac mini; also advised a friend to buy one.

They are all late 2012 with latest os ( 10.13.1 High Sierra). All recognize the original ( oldest) version of the Launchpads as can be seen in system preferences/USB.

But only on 1 of the 3 mini's Hauptwerk recognises them.......Re-installed HW, no success.

The later models with the dedicated driver work fine on all 3. But we like to use the older version as we find the colors better.

Anyone has encountered this with the mac mini ???

mdyde

Re: launchpad problem mac mini

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello krumiel,

Novation list version 2.7 on their downloads page as the driver for their Launchpad Mk1 for the Mac (under 'discontinued products'):

https://global.novationmusic.com/support/product-downloads?product=Launchpad+MK1

Hence I would imagine that you would need to install that version specifically, then reboot, making sure that the Launchpad is attached and powered up *before* you launch Hauptwerk.

I don't know whether that driver version is fully compatible with current macOS versions (given that Novation no longer officially support the Mk1 Launchpad).

N.B. also: Hauptwerk queries the list of audio and MIDI devices from the operating system when Hauptwerk launches, and it expects them to remain connected; it doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices. If you've told macOS to launch Hauptwerk automatically upon login then you might need to try setting the 'Minimum time to wait on start-up' setting to (say) 15 seconds on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab, so that there is some extra time for the operating system to finish starting all of the drivers as it boots, before Hauptwerk launches properly and queries the list of devices from the operating system.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kruimel

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Martin, this was the golden tip !!!

I installed the 2.7 driver that you pointed to and immediately HW detected my old launchpads.

Strange though, that one of the other exactly identical mini,s worked without this driver. Besides, Novation said that it was class compliant, so does not need a driver.......

Thanks very much, not only for this tip, but of course for HW as well, as it gives me so much consolidation..

Greetings,

Geert ( from the Netherlands)

mdyde

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 am

Thanks, Geert.

You're very welcome. Glad to hear it was easily solved.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing